Auerbach is Spin, a media mogul who spread fear to grow his news empire.
Auerbach was the son of a media mogul whose holdings included the cable news network KN News. He pursued a career in journalism, hoping to work his way up in his father's company. While working on a story, he met Edwar Martinez, who was capable of sensing the fears in others and making them a reality.
Auerbach eventually was put in charge of KN News, where he had a hand in determining much of the content that the network covered.
He also led a double life as the villain Spin. He kept Edwar captive in the basement of the news building, hooking him up to machines and forcing him to watch news coverage. In this setting, Spin was able to channel and direct Edwar's amazing ability.
He took advantage of a comment made on television by the Flash expressing his financial woes. After the citizens of Keystone City started to feel some doubt about their local hero, Spin lured him to the Keystone City Salamanders stadium and forced him to steal many valuables from the fans there. This caused a massive public outcry against the Flash, which Spin enhanced with his powers, even turning the original Flash against his successor.
When Spin and Edwar realized that the Flash had identified the source of the disturbances as emanating from KN News, he used his abilities to summon Gorilla Grodd to Keystone, the Rogue which Edwar sensed would make the speedster most anxious. Grodd, however, was not pleased with his sudden teleportation, and a massive battle ensued. In the chaos, Edwar was released from his machinery and his powers went completely out of control, causing citizens to act out nearly every situation being mentioned in the media.
Powers and Abilities
- Spin has a vast array of equipment set up in the basement of the KN News building where he keeps Edwar Martinez. By forcing Edwar to watch news coverage, he is able to direct and control Edwar's ability to sense specific anxieties in the public consciousness and turn them into reality.
- Spin wears a costume with a television screen for a face. Usually static appears on the screen, but when channeling Edwar's powers, the face of his victim or a phrase describing his actions may appear. He can summon this costume by uttering the words, "Load theme."
- 5 Appearances of Auerbach (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Auerbach (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Auerbach (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Auerbach (New Earth)