Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Aurelie was trained by Granny Goodness to become one of Apokolips' elite warriors. Such training allowed her to rise up to become the strongest fighter of the Furies, but she secretly became an accomplished dancer as well.
Her dedication to Darkseid began to slip when the Furies had to submit to humiliating trials in front of Darkseid's Elite; irrelevant events such as the "Evening Gowns" or "Smile Contest". Her desire to escape only grew after Willik had begun abusing her under the guise of "Special Training"; while her fellow Furies condemned her for receiving what they saw as special treatment.
An encounter with Steppenwolf's bastard Rublon enraged Aurelie, and she cut his throat. She and Big Barda buried Rublon's body on a comet. Afterwards, Aurelie reveals her abuse to Barda, who refuses to believe it. On top of not being believed, Willik witnessed her murdering Rublon and threatened to expose unless she continue his "Special Training", which eventually caused a pregnancy.
Aurelie tells Granny of her situation, but she condemns Aurelie's weakness and aborted the fetus, to use for her own ends. Worse still, Rublon's body fell to Apokolips, and Aurelie was sent to kill Himon's daughter and children in a misguided attempt at revenge. In the end, she decides to spare the children out of guilt for her role in their misfortune.
During Willik's next "session" Aurelie lashes out and beats him, an act that places her on trial before Darkseid. She reveals what Willik was doing to her, but his denials were believed and she was humiliated. Pushed to the limit, she uses the accidental involvement of Beautiful Dreamer to escape to Himon's Refuge on Apokolips; but the remaining Furies recaptured her and she was left with Willik for punishment. As punishment, she had white-hot boots clamped onto her legs and was forced to dance until she was near dead.
Barda arrived in time to witness Willik's abuse, and Aurelie died in her arms. Aurelie's last act opened Barda's eyes to the truth of Willik's abuse, which would later move her to flee Apokolips herself.
Powers and Abilities
- Auralie was created by Jack Kirby, first appearing in Mister Miracle #9. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Auralie first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Female Furies #1 by Cecil Castellucci and Adriana Melo.
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World Recommended Reading:
- Forever People (Volume 1)
- Forever People (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 3)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 4)
- Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 2)
- New Gods (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 4)
- Orion (Volume 1)
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Volume 1): issues #133-#148
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Volume 1)
- Death of the New Gods (Volume 1)
- DC Graphic Novel #4
- Genesis (Volume 1)
- 3 Appearances of Aurelie (Prime Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Aurelie (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Aurelie (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Aurelie (Prime Earth)
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.