Babe Tanaka was a musician friend of Jimmy Olsen's who was turned into a vampire.
Babe Tanaka worked at the Newstime cafeteria, where she met a recently laid off Jimmy Olsen. After he was evicted, Jimmy stayed at Babe's apartment with her and her band for a short time. Some time after this, Babe was assaulted by the vampire Baron Ruthven, and his spirit inhabited her after the destruction of his corporeal form. After the Fall of Metropolis, Babe and her band, the Children of the Night, played a benefit concert in Centennial Park to aid in the rebuilding of Metropolis. Due to the events of Zero Hour, there were multiple time anomalies surrounding the concert, and Babe was shot by members of the Mutants gang, but survived due to her vampiric nature.
Shortly after this, Babe's control of her vampiric abilities waned, resulting in her attacking Jimmy Olsen and others. During the Christmas eve Night of 100 Thieves, Babe stopped Mountain Man and Piton, concussing Mountain Man and scaring Piton into surrendering and confessing to the police. The magician known as the Lock sought Babe, feeling she was the "key" to him controlling his abilities. Together, they exorcised the vampire spirit from her body, returning her humanity, as well as closed off his access to the "Beyond".
Powers and Abilities
- Vampirism: In addition to the various mental and physical benefits that vampires are heir to, they also possess the ability to turn others into vampires as well. Each new vampire is traditionally subservient to the one who "turned" them, but some strong-willed vampires have been known to rebel against their masters.
- Enhanced Senses: A vampire's senses are enhanced far beyond those of a normal human being.
- Immortality: So long as vampires continue to consume blood, they will not age beyond the physical state they were in when they first became a vampire.
- Invulnerability: Vampires are invulnerable to most forms of injury (certain exceptions apply). Bullets, blades and blunt objects do little to no damage to a vampire's body.
- Regeneration: In addition to being virtually indestructible, whatever damage a vampire does in fact suffer can be healed through the consumption of human blood.
- Superhuman Strength: A vampire's strength level is several times that of a normal human being and they are considered superhuman.
- Superhuman Stamina: So long as they continue to consume human blood, a vampire can function tirelessly without rest or relaxation. However, a vampire's stamina wanes the closer it is to sunrise.
- Psychokinesis: Most vampires possess some form of psychokinesis. Some are clairvoyant, others can communicate telepathically, some possess mind control. Particularly powerful vampires can control the minds of several people at once.
- Transformation: Vampires often possess the ability to transform into a variety of creatures or effects such as bats, wolves, rats or even mist. While their physical attributes may fluctuate during such states, a vampire's mental acuity is the same as that when they are in their human shape. A vampire who transforms into an animal may also benefit from that particular animal's attributes including razor-sharp claws, fangs or the ability to fly.
- Metamorphosis: Vampires often demonstrate the ability to alter their appearance at will.
- 12 Appearances of Babe Tanaka (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Babe Tanaka (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Babe Tanaka (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Babe Tanaka (New Earth)