Bane is said to have been born and imprisoned in The Pit, the worst prison on Earth, located within a Middle Eastern country. At some point, he took an interest in the wellbeing for the daughter of Ra's al Ghul, and aided in her escape when several of the inmates raped and killed Talia's mother. However, this selfless action resulted in the prisoners' exacting revenge by torturing and beating him to the point that he was wrapped up in bandages and paralyzed. He was eventually rescued by Ra's al Ghul and the League of Shadows when Talia informed him of what happened, and allowed to be trained within the League. Bane also wore a mask that pumped analgesic gas into his system to alleviate the pain from his injury within the prison. However, because he was a reminder of Ra's al Ghul's own failure to protect his wife and because of his love for Talia, Bane was eventually excommunicated from the organization by Ra's, culminating in Talia severing all ties to her father. Bane ended up rejoining after Ra's died in Gotham City, a death that Batman was involved in, as well as Talia al Ghul taking control of the organization. His actions also resulted in his becoming wanted as a terrorist by the CIA.
About eight years after the Joker's attack on Gotham City, Bane (disguising himself as one of his mercenaries in another country) deliberately allowed himself to be captured by the CIA after it became apparent that Dr. Pavel was going to try and turn him in so he could infiltrate the group and then kill them, presumably also arranging for a plane of his mercenaries to tail the CIA plane while airborne. When the CIA agent overseeing the capture attempted to interrogate his men by pretending to throw them out of a plane and shoot them, Bane pointed out that their attempts won't work because the minions see no reason to give in when they're only pretending to throw them out of a plane before shooting them. He also tells them his entire plan up to that point, realizing that they will not survive the attack, and breaks free just as his fellow mercenaries shoot the CIA personnel without their knowledge. In addition, his mercenaries also brought in a cadaver to transfer Pavel's blood to fake the latter's death. He also had one of the soldiers stay in order to ensure they have the expected death toll, also promising the willing soldier that they fires have started. He also tells Pavel that the time for fear will come later as the latter is panicking.
Afterwards, he had several minions commence "construction projects" that were actually rigging explosives across Gotham via "explosive cement." He also recruited John Daggett, an ambitious member of Wayne Enterprises, to have Bruce Wayne forcibly removed from Wayne Enterprises by fraudulently placing Wayne Enterprises' (already low) finances to be in the red zone and make Wayne bankrupt, although he secretly intended for Talia al Ghul (adopting the alias of Miranda Tate) to become the chair of the company. Via Daggett, he also arranged for Selina Kyle to dust off Bruce Wayne's fingerprints, including his thumb, in order to sell the fraudulent bankruptcy. However, due to a phone sting regarding the location of a missing congressman, some police officers, including Commissioner James Gordon ended up stumbling upon Bane's group, the new League of Shadow's hideout. Bane likewise executed one of the soldiers delivering Gordon to him for drawing him to the place, before having the other shoot Gordon. He also retrieved a speech that was intended to expose the truth behind the events of Dent's death and give his resignation. When James Gordon ended up going down the rapid sewer waters to escape, Bane had one of his soldiers "follow" him by placing a cell phone on him and then sending him down the rapids, anticipating the likelihood that Gordon would survive falling into the rapids after the grunt made the mistake of implying that he died in the rapids.
Afterwards, Bane arrived at the stock exchange to complete the plan of putting Bruce Wayne into bankruptcy, also placing a cement truck in the way manned by one of his followers. He also took hostages in order to ensure the Police not try to attack them the way they were supposed to, before encountering Batman. Likewise, after Selina Kyle attempted to find the blank slate drive only to find the safe containing it empty, he and his followers arrived to kill her, seeing her usefulness as having been outlived. After Daggett learned that Miranda Tate was going to gain command over Wayne Enterprises and not him, he furiously confronted Bane, but was instead killed by him, the latter also echoing Batman's line to Carmen Falcone years earlier, and then his body was dumped into a dumpster. He then arranged for Selina Kyle to trick Batman into being captured by Bane as a way to let her survive against him. Despite Batman's efforts against Bane, Bane managed to easily overpower Batman, both due to his mask making him impervious to pain as well as his earlier training in the League of Shadows, the fight eventually cumulating in the Wayne Enterprises' weapons development section having a hole blown through and breaking Batman's back. Afterwards, with Talia/Tate's cooperation, he took Lucius Fox, another Wayne Enterprises' employee, and Tate hostage and had Pavel modify the clean energy generator into a nuclear bomb that was gradually ticking down as well as removing the core. In addition, he also had the police lured to the hideout to be trapped, and eventually detonated the explosives laced around the city, killing hundreds of people, including Mayor Garcia. Anticipating that Gordon was still recovering at the hospital, he also sent two of his men to kill Gordon, although Gordon managed to kill them before either of them could lay a finger on him. He then brought the bomb out to the entire public, and after having Pavel explain its properties, killed him in front of everyone, also implying that he has given the detonator to a citizen who will push the button if they don't comply to his rules. In addition, in order to further ensure that no one outside of Gotham attempts to interfere, he also has one of his minions inform the soldiers that if they were to enter the city, they will detonate the bomb. He also delivers Bruce Wayne to the prison he himself was formerly imprisoned in, and stated that he won't kill him yet, as he intends to psychologically torture him with Gotham City being doomed either way with Wayne being unable to do a thing before killing him, also promising that he'll kill him only after Gotham is "ashes."
Upon returning to Gotham, he also reads aloud in front of Blackgate Penitentiary Gordon's planned confession, thus ensuring the destruction of Dent's attempt at removing criminals from Gotham's streets, as well as granting Scarecrow full access to the legal system of the people (leaving even himself unable to affect the decision process), as well as orchestrating the impoverished masses' riots against the wealthy. After Batman's return to Gotham City became apparent, he had some soldiers guard Talia al Ghul, anticipating that he'll eventually trace her down. He eventually led a fight against the newly freed Gotham City Police Force with his soldiers, while he himself fought Batman. Batman eventually managed to damage his mask, and interrogated him regarding the location of the trigger before Talia revealed herself. He then had his mask fixed by Talia. Bane also attempted to kill Batman after Talia left to take over the driving of the bomb (as Gordon prevented the remote detonation by jamming the signal), but was killed by Selina Kyle with the Bat Pod.
- Peak Human Condition: Bane possesses strength that far surpasses that of the Batman's, and that of a normal person who engages in intense physical training on a regular basis. He has shown the ability to lift Batman over his head with ease, break Batman's impact resistant cowl, and (while in an enraged and pain-filled state) punch two holes in a column in front of Blackgate. He also moves with incredible speed despite his huge size as seen when he attacks the Gotham stock exchange and disables multiple opponents within seconds.
- Pain Resistance: Due to constant use of pain suppressors, Bane can withstand severe physical traumas, being able to shrug off Batman's punches during their first fight, and himself punch holes in the column during their second encounter.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Martial Arts: Even prior to being taught by Ra's al Ghul, Bane possessed great skills as a combatant (showed himself capable of fighting off multiple inmates in order to save Talia in the Pit). Following his time in the League of Shadows, Bane became a skilled enough fighter to defeat multiple opponents simultaneously, and even was able to easily beat Batman himself in single-hand combat during their first fight.
- Genius Level Intellect: Despite having no formal education, Bane is extremely intelligent. He is an expert tactician, exceptionally skilled in psychological warfare and torture and even has a working knowledge of nuclear physics.
- Tactical Analysis: Bane is a master tactician who has shown himself capable of planning the theft of Gotham's stock exchange, and with the assistance of Talia and the prisoners of Blackgate, the complete takeover of Gotham City.
- Leadership: Bane is a highly influential man, and his men follow him without question (on more then one occasion his men have willingly accepted their deaths either by his request or his own hand). He speaks with great reasoning and strikes fear into his enemies, as well as his own followers.
- Intimidation: Being trained in the ways of League of Shadows, Bane mastered art of instilling fear in others and himself is resistant against Batman's deceptive maneuvers.
- Survival: Bane was born and raised in a prison described by Alfred as hell on earth but was able to survive and became remarkably tough as a result.
- Indomitable Will: Bane's willpower and absolute belief in his goal are what make him such a dangerous opponent, as noted by Alfred Pennyworth.
- Bane's Mask: Bane's mask suppresses his constant pain. During his second fight with Batman this mask was damaged and in only a matter of minutes Bane was left barely able to stand. However, after Talia repaired the mask Bane quickly recovered.
- Mask: Bane wears a protective mask that covers most of his face and head. The mask is designed to cover up the horrific injuries he received in prison as well administer a toxin that suppresses the pain from his injuries and grants him an enhanced resistance to pain in general. However, the mask is somewhat fragile as Bruce was able to break part of it with his gauntlets.
- Tumbler: Bane attained a number of Tumblers after Wayne Enterprise was broken into from the sewers
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Nolanverse film series and is an adaptation of Bane. The original character was created by Chuck Dixon, Doug Moench, and Graham Nolan and first appeared in Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1.
- Bane was portrayed by Tom Hardy.
- Tom Hardy stands around 5'9" where Christian Bale is over 6'. Since Bane towers over Batman in height in the comics special film techniques were used to make Hardy's stature and figure appear larger and imposing. In particular, three-inch lifts were added to Hardy's boots to make him equal in height to other tall characters. 
- There have been some criticisms about Hardy's voice for Bane being difficult to understand on the trailers. This was fixed by being amplified in the final cut of the movie. 
- A controversy regarding the character ensued nearing the release of the film where several political pundits, including Conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh, believed that Bane was intended to reference Bain Capital, the name of the investment firm founded by 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney. It resulted in Christopher Nolan denying Bain as the inspiration, as well as Bane co-creator Chuck Dixon confirming Nolan's denials, stating that Bane's overall character was in fact closer to the left-wing movement, Occupy Wall Street.
- In The Dark Knight Rises, the chemical drug, Venom is absent. Instead the costume designer made his mask supply a type of analgesic administered directly into Bane's airways. The analgesic relieves him of his pain. 
- Tom Hardy has described Bane as "brutal. He's a big dude who's incredibly clinical, in the fact that he has a result-based and oriented fighting style. It's not about fighting. It's about carnage. The style is heavy-handed, heavy-footed, it's nasty. Anything from small-joint manipulation to crushing skulls, crushing rib cages, stamping on shins and knees and necks and collarbones and snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns. He is a terrorist in mentality as well as brutal action." 
- 1 Appearances of Bane (Nolanverse)
- 3 Images featuring Bane (Nolanverse)
- 2 Quotations by or about Bane (Nolanverse)
- Character Gallery: Bane (Nolanverse)
League of Assassins member