Barbara Gordon was the daughter of Commissioner James Gordon and went on to become the vigilante known as Batgirl. Years later, she retired from crime-fighting and married Gotham's District Attorney, Sam Young. She followed her father as commissioner of police in Gotham.
Barbara was a college student at the time when she first met Batman. During a vacation visit to Gotham, Barbara's father was abducted and replaced by an android replicant built by the super-computer H.A.R.D.A.C.. Desperate for help, Barbara used the Bat-Signal to ask for Batman's help in finding her father. Although Batman agreed to investigate, he told her to stay safely away. Barbara didn't heed Batman's advice and investigated on her own, eventually locating H.A.R.D.A.C. and helping Batman beat the computer along with the evil android duplicants. After the successful mission, Barbara started enjoying the thrills of crime-fighting.
A while later, Commissioner Gordon was framed for taking bribes from crime lord Rupert Thorne and when she asked Batman's help, he agreed although not to the extent she had expected. With this in mind, Barbara came up with a Batsuit version of her own and went out as Batgirl. Thanks to her assistance, Commissioner Gordon's name was cleared and Two-Face was exposed as the mastermind behind the frame-up. Due to this circumstances, Batman and Robin decided to allow Batgirl to continue her crime-fighting activities, which were also sanctioned by her oblivious father, Commissioner Gordon.
Powers and Abilities
- Computer Operation Batgirl was able to stop nuclear power plant meltdown.
- Genius Level Intellect
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Lock Picking
- Multilingualism: Along with English, Barbara can also speak Spanish.
- Peak Human Condition
- Restricted Mobility: Barabara utilized Wayne-Powers legs to remain active in the future; however, they weren't designed for heavy activity.
- Utility Belt: Bolas, Smoke pellets, lasers, rebreathers, gas-powered magnetized grappling gun, binoculars, mini-computer, radio-frequency cowl microphone, etc.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. The original character was created by Gardner Fox, Carmine Infantino, and Julius Schwartz and first appeared in Detective Comics #359.
- Barbara Gordon was voiced by:
- Melissa Gilbert for Batman: The Animated Series.
- Mary Kay Bergman for Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero.
- Tara Strong for The New Batman Adventures, Gotham Girls and the films Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.
- Stockard Channing for the first and second seasons of the Batman Beyond.
- Angie Harmon for the third season of Batman Beyond and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.
- 201 Appearances of Barbara Gordon (DCAU)
- 39 Images featuring Barbara Gordon (DCAU)
- 17 Quotations by or about Barbara Gordon (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Barbara Gordon (DCAU)
- Gotham Girls: "Miss Un-Congeniality"
- Batman Beyond 2.0 #28
- Batman: "Heart of Steel, Part I"
- Batman: "Heart of Steel, Part II"
- Batman: "Shadow of the Bat, Part I"
- Batman: "Shadow of the Bat, Part II"
- Batman: The Adventures Continue Season Two #6
- The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years #1
- Batman Beyond (Volume 2) #13
- Batman Beyond Unlimited #17
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.