As a child, Barry Allen's life was uprooted forever by the death of his mother. The police arrested his father for the crime, but Barry had seen a strange man with inhuman powers in a yellow suit commit the deed.
The death drove him to find answers, researching cases of paranormal activity and possible superhuman forces at work. He also found answers in science, getting a job as an intern with the Central City PD Crime Scene Unit. However, he was perpetually late.
Hearing about the Starling City vigilante, he looked into the stories about him, keeping a running tally of the colorful criminals he caught. He followed and developed theories as to the man's operations. When a seemingly impossible case cropped up in Starling City, Allen used deferred sick days to travel across country, claiming that this case connected to something happening in Central City and inserting himself into the investigation.
He proved instrumental to solving the case, even meeting the vigilante and learning his secret identity. Parting with the man on cordial terms, he returned to his duties...mere seconds before Central City's new particle accelerator backfired, showering the city with exotic radiation. In the ensuing confusion, Allen was struck by lightning, but survived. Allen was in a coma for 9 months. During the time he was in a coma, he was moved to S.T.A.R. Labs. He awoke from his coma with the power to move at superhuman speeds, and met Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow.
He later would later join them in addition to Harrison Wells as part of Team Flash. Later he encounters with numerous Metahumans and Villains, such as, Captain Cold, Heat Wave, but, he would encounter The Man in the Yellow Suit who killed his mother
The Man in Yellow
At a later point in time, Barry would find out that his mentor, Harrison Wells, was secretly the Reverse Flash, and the man who had killed his mother. Wells' real name was Eobard Thawne and was from the future. He had traveled back and got stuck in Barry's period of time. Wells engineered the particle accelerator explosion and began mentoring Barry and helping him get faster so Wells could return to his time-period. With the help of the Arrow and Firestorm, Barry was able to defeat Wells.
At one point point in time, Barry and the rest of Team Flash were visited by a speedster from Earth-2, calling himself Jay Garrick. Jay informed the team of a powerful speedster named Zoom who had stolen his powers. Jay began working with Team Flash to stop Zoom, and became something of a new mentor to Barry.
Following the confrontation of a new speedster named Trajectory, Barry and the team realized that Jay Garrick was actually Zoom. After the team discovered new revelations about Zoom's real history as Hunter Zolomon, Barry attempted to lure Zoom into a trap, but this backfired when Zoom escaped and captured Wally West, forcing Barry to surrender his speed. With the help of his team, Barry recreated the conditions of the night he was given his speed, and regained his powers.
Barry's father is later kidnapped by Zoom and killed in front of Barry. Shortly after, the team tried to take down Zoom on their own, resulting in the abduction of Joe West. Realizing he has no choice, Barry agrees to a race arranged by Zoom, who is planning on destroying the Multiverse, leaving only Earth-1 behind. Barry races Zoom, creating Time Remnants to help him. Zoom is finally defeated and is taken away by Time Wraiths and into the Speed Force.
Sometime after, Team Flash returned to Earth-2 and rescued the man Zoom had been keeping captive, and it is revealed that the man was the actual Jay Garrick and Barry's father's Earth-3 doppelganger.
Barry, emotionally distraught after his father's death, time-traveled back to the night his mother was killed to save her, drastically changing the timeline.
After defeating the Reverse-Flash and returning back to his time, Barry realized he had drastically changed the timeline. Both his parents were alive and Wally West was the Flash. Realizing his mistake, Barry allowed Reverse-Flash to go back in time to kill his mother and reset the timeline.
- Speed Force Conduit: After being hit by the dark matter lightning from the particle accelerator explosion and exposed to various chemicals, Barry's DNA was altered and his cells were supercharged with enormous amounts of electricity, augmenting his physiology, and granting him access to the extradimensional energy source called the Speed Force.
- Superhuman Speed: Barry is able to move at vast superhuman speeds. He is also unaffected by the side-effects of moving at these speeds such as high friction, air pressure, reduced oxygen, and kinetic impact. The intensity of his speed allows him to run across vertical structures and over large masses of water. While able to reach Mach 3.3 on his own and later augmenting his speed by using a tachyon device to reach Mach 13, Barry has since gained a stronger connection to the Speed Force, making him considerably faster.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Because of his great speed, Barry's reflexes are heightened to superhuman levels, allowing him to react to danger instantly. His reflexes are great enough to allow him to catch a bullet while standing still.
- Superhuman Agility: Barry's balance and bodily coordination are far superior to the finest human athlete. He is able to make sharp turns on streets without losing balance, and leap far and high in the air, while running.
- Superhuman Stamina: Barry possesses superhuman stamina, which allows him handle the stress of running at superhuman speed, without getting tired or weak.
- Superhuman Durability: Barry possesses far greater durability than a normal human, due to his body being adapted to the effects of moving at super-speed. He is able to withstand hits from superhumanly strong meta-humans, and only be momentarily stunned.
- Accelerated Healing: Barry is capable of healing at a rate much quicker and efficiently than regular humans. When he severely fractured his arm shortly after gaining his powers, the break healed in three hours.
- Aerokinesis: Barry can use his speed to generate air flow as vacuums on various levels. He can suffocate people by creating a vortex around them by running around them. He can spin his arms to create tornado to remove air from fire and extinguish it and repel targets away.
- Dimensional Travel: With a tachyon device, Barry is capable of moving fast enough to break open portals to alternate dimensions, although he has only done this once by accident, and needed assistance to return back to his earth.
- Electrokinesis: Barry's body generates an aura of Speed Force lightning when he is moving at super speed. By generating enough friction on a specific part of his body, such as his hands, he is able to produce a strong shock, capable of reviving someone. Barry is also capable of electrifying water by rapidly running on it.
- Electro-Blast: After being trained by Jay Garrick, Barry learned to build up and redirect the electricity his body produces, and hurl bolts of lightning.
- Energy Absorption: Barry is able to drain electrical energy from outside sources.
- Healing: Through physical contact of his electrical Speed Force energy, Barry was able to heal Jesse Wells from a coma.
- Enhanced Mental Process: Barry's brain is able to process information at a highly accelerated rate, which allows him to perceive time and events in slow motion, as well as take in and process large amounts of information.
- Enhanced Senses: Barry's speed extends to his senses, allowing him to see and hear normally when moving at increased speed, even when moving at, or above the speed of sound, where this would normally be impossible.
- Molecular Acceleration: Barry can vibrate his molecular structure at various levels to achieve various effects. He can accelerate the molecules in his throat to distort his vocal cords to disguise his voice.
- Speed Mirages: Barry can use his speed to make it appear as if he's in many places at once, when in reality, he is simply bouncing back and forth too fast for the human mind to perceive the difference. He can create dozens of after-images, allowing him to disorientate his enemies.
- Speed Lending: Barry can temporarily extend his Speed Force to others, allowing them to move at super-speed for a short time.
- Speed Steal: By trailing another speedster, Barry is capable of siphoning off speed from them to bolster his own speed.
- Time Deceleration: When Barry and Supergirl ran around the Earth in opposite directions at just over Mach 7, they were able to generate enough centrifugal force to slow the Earth's rotation, along with time itself.
- Time Travel: Barry can move fast enough to break open holes in the fabric of time and space, allowing him to travel through time. This power was formerly uncontrollable, as the first two of his time travels were achieved by accident, although Barry has since then gained partial control over this power.
- Reality Alteration: By preventing past events from happening, while time-travelling, Barry can unintentionally alter the present reality. This was displayed when Barry traveled back in time and saved his mother from being killed, and accidentally altered the entire universe, creating the Flashpoint timeline.
- Time Remnant Creation: Barry is able to essentially "clone" himself by creating a time remnant, a version of himself from either his past or future. He can do this by time traveling back moments before his current self time travels, producing a time remnant as a result, hailing from a future that no longer exists. This effectively allows for Barry to be two places at once.
- Computer Operation
- Forensic Pathology
- Indomitable Will
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Hyper-Metabolism: While moving at accelerated speeds, Barry burns calories much faster than a normal person. While breaking down food far more efficiently, it requires him to consume large amounts of nutrients.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series The Flash, its tie-in comic book series, and its related television series. It is an adaptation of Barry Allen/Flash. The original character was created by Robert Kanigher and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in Showcase #4.
- Barry Allen is portrayed by Grant Gustin. The young Barry Allen was portrayed by Logan Williams.
- 190 Appearances of Barry Allen (Arrowverse)
- 32 Images featuring Barry Allen (Arrowverse)
- 17 Quotations by or about Barry Allen (Arrowverse)
- Character Gallery: Barry Allen (Arrowverse)
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Things You Can't Outrun"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Flash vs. Arrow"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Family of Rogues"
- ↑ "Supergirl (TV Series) Episode: Worlds Finest"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Infantino Street"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: The Trial of The Flash"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Elseworlds, Part 1"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Goldfaced"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: The Last Temptation of Barry Allen, Pt. 2"
- ↑ "The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part Three"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 "Pilot"
- ↑ "Family of Rogues"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "The Runaway Dinosaur"
- ↑ "The Trap"
- ↑ "Running to Stand Still"
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 "Worlds Finest"
- ↑ "All Star Team Up"
- ↑ "King Shark"
- ↑ "Flash of Two Worlds"
- ↑ "Think Fast"
- ↑ "Plastique"
- ↑ "Tricksters"
- ↑ "The Darkness and the Light"
- ↑ "Think Fast"
- ↑ "The Present"
- ↑ "Elseworlds, Part 3"
- ↑ "Out of Time"
- ↑ "Flash Back"
- ↑ "Flashpoint"
- ↑ "The Race of His Life"
- ↑ "Legends of Yesterday"
- ↑ "Crazy for You"
- ↑ The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Who is Harrison Wells?
- ↑ The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Cause and Effect
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
|Team Arrow member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Arrow family of vigilante super-heroes, who fight crime using archery and martial arts. They are a loose connection brought together through family bonds and shared experiences. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Team Arrow members."
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.