In 1957, Barry Allen was a crime forensic researcher at Central City Police Department. During a thunder storm, lightning struck the department's laboratory which Barry was in, causing a explosion among the chemicals that Barry was working. Barry emerge unhurt, but received the power of super-speed. Barry then simply decided to use his power to do good and becoming the Flash, which he named after the said hero of the defunct Justice Society.
As Flash, he made his thrilling debut in Las Vegas after hearing a call from his fiancee Iris West, who was doing a report in Sin City, about one of his Rogue Captain Cold holding a heist. Barry ran to Las Vegas, but learns from Cold that he planted several cryo-bombs throughout the city, abandoning his chance to arrest Captain Cold and to gather the bombs. Fortunately, Flash gathered all the bomb and subdued Captain Cold in the process.
Despite being seen as a hero to the public, Flash is still consider to be a unregistered superhuman fugitive by the federal government. In 1958, Barry overheard of Gorilla Grodd threatening Central City, and came to capture the Gorilla. But this turns out to be a trap, and he was subdue by government agents lead by King Faraday. Faraday confronted the Flash and told him that he is "government property". Flash was shocked from hearing Faraday's words and quickly escape before being almost tranquilized by the agent. This event shook Flash as he became very disappointed of how people viewed him after all he did to help the people he saved and protected. Ultimately, Barry decided to abandon his heroic career, in which he interrupted Walter Cronkite's news report and announced his permanent retirement and reasons for doing so.
However, after the gigantic being known as The Centre appeared off of Florida's coast, Barry watched the events unfold from his home beside Iris West. In the state of global disaster, Barry was about to reveal his heroic identity to Iris, but his fiancee reveals that she had all ready knew about it a longtime ago, and confessed that she is happy for what he did and convinced him to become the Flash again to fight alongside with the heroes at Cape Canaveral against the Centre.
After Superman was believed to be dead, Flash proved crucial in destroying the Centre as his speed is fast enough to cover the creature with Raymond Palmer's smaller matter reduction ray to destabilize and implode the being. Flash succeeded in this and was rescued by Wonder Woman once he jumped off the Centre.
Following the defeat of the Centre, Flash became a member of the Justice League of America.
- Speed Force Conduit: Speed force conduits possess a connection to the Speed Force, a cosmic force that allows its users to push the boundaries that keep time and space. As a conduit of the Speed Force, all aspects of their physiology are accelerated and enhanced.
- Accelerated Healing: By having a connection to the speed force, every speed force conduit has an incredibly fast healing factor and can heal from most injuries in seconds and devastating injuries in minutes.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive and process thoughts faster than the normal person.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such as friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: The Speed Force grants its conduits with a great increase of stamina, allowing them to fight or run much longer than the average person. Although a great increase, it is not unlimited.
- Superhuman Speed: The universal factor of being a Speed Force conduit grants its user with imperceptible amounts of speed. All powers that conduits possess derives from their speed.. This also confers:
- Superhuman Agility: The speedster's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows them to easily maneuver while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes: In conjunction with their enhanced senses, The speedster's reflexes are heightened immesurably, allowing them to dodge or react faster than normal.
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the comic book stories considered to be set on Earth-21. It is an adaptation of Barry Allen/The Flash. The original character was created by Robert Kanigher and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in Showcase #4.
- In the animated adaption of Justice League: The New Frontier Barry Allen/The Flash was voiced by Neil Patrick Harris.
- 7 Appearances of Barry Allen (Earth-21)
- 10 Images featuring Barry Allen (Earth-21)
- Quotations by or about Barry Allen (Earth-21)
- Character Gallery: Barry Allen (Earth-21)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 DC: The New Frontier #4
- ↑ DC: The New Frontier #2
- ↑ DC: The New Frontier #5
- ↑ DC: The New Frontier #6
- ↑ Being a speed force conduit conveys some core powers as demonstrated by Barry Allen and Wally West.
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 5) #73
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 The Flash (Volume 2) #1
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #76
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #63
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #2
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #74
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.