Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Bart Allen, also known as Impulse, is the grandson of Barry Allen from the future and a speedster superhero. He was somehow trapped in the Speed Force and forgotten by all until the Force Barrier was broken by Barry and Wally West, which finally allowed him to escape.
Bart Allen as Impulse, was fighting Mirror Master, when suddenly he was hit by his mirror gun. The gun sent Impulse to another dimension, where his physical form began to disintegrate. When Impulse escaped the dimension, he found that he was in the future. A future where Arrowette, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, and Robin are dead. When Bart passed out from stress, he awoke in Arkham Asylum with a psychiatrist Harley Quinn. Harley explains that Bart Allen mysteriously disappeared years earlier, and that "it was the Bermuda triangle of superheroes." After Bart escapes Arkham he runs fast and returns home.  However when he returns home, due to a mysterious force messing with the universe timeline, ten years of history were removed from existence, but, because Bart was outside of time, his memories of these formerly true events remained with him.
In these ten years, Wally West would have witnessed Barry Allen sacrifice himself to save the Multiverse. Without his mentor, Wally would have filled the role and become the next Flash and would take on Bart Allen as his sidekick.
Sometime after the Flashes failed to stop Zoom, Bart discovered that the Force Barrier had been broken, allowing him to finally escape the Speed Force.
Bart showed up when Metropolis was invaded by inhabitants of Gemworld and was re-united with Robin and Wonder Girl. With this, Bart claimed that Young Justice was back. Shortly after this, Bart and his friends were pulled into Gemworld and he woke up without them, only to find Conner Kent instead.. After the rest of the team united, they were all confronted by Lord Opal. Impulse stole Opal's piece of Kryptonite, which allowed Conner to defeat Opal. When the team was believed to be sent home, they were banished into the Multiverse, by the council of Gems. While traveling throughout the multiverse, Impulse harassed the residents of all the worlds that they traveled to.
- Speed Force Conduit: Bart possesses a connection to the Speed Force, a mysterious cosmic force that pushes time and space itself forward. As a conduit of the Speed Force, all aspects of Bart's physiology are accelerated and enhanced.
- Superhuman Speed: Bart is capable of moving at incredible superhuman speeds. He was fast enough to hit Godspeed multiple times before he could even react, as well as stay a step ahead of him in a fight. He's easily faster than Godspeed ever was. He could also easily keep up with Kryptonian flight speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Bart possesses reflexes far greater than a normal human being. This allows him to easily react to danger and events, and perceive the world in slow motion.
- Superhuman Agility: Bart's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows him to easily maneuver while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Strength: The Speed Force enhances Bart's strength to levels greater than any normal human, allowing him to easily carry multiple people while running at super speed.
- Superhuman Stamina: Bart's body can handle the stress of moving at superhuman speeds for long periods of time without out getting tired or weak.
- Speed Force Aura: Bart's body is surrounded by a "friction cushion", a field of kinetic absorbent energy that protects him and anyone who is running with or carried by him from the rigorous effects of using his speed. Including friction, airborne particulate matter, heavy impacts, G-Force and the like.
- Superhuman Durability: Thanks to his protective Speed Force aura, Bart is capable of resisting tremendous kinetic impact forces that could easily crush or kill a human, without suffering any serious external or internal injuries.
- Accelerated Healing: Like all conduits of the Speed Force, Bart is capable of regenerating from injuries much faster than any normal human. However, Bart has "hyper-metabolism", meaning his body's metabolism is much faster than even that of other speedsters. Side effects of this include accelerating aging, as Bart revealed he had physically looked like a teenager at the age of 2.
- Dimensional Travel: After the Force Barrier had been broken, Bart was able to use his speed to escape the Speed Force and travel back to Earth.
- Electrokinesis: As a conduit of the Speed Force, Bart's body generates large amounts of the electrical energy that he draws from the Speed Force. This Speed Force lightning emanates off of him, especially when moving at superhuman speed.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force grants Bart enhanced senses that allow him to perceive the world at a rate attuned to his reaction speed. He can also mentally tap into the Speed Force at will for various purposes.
- Molecular Acceleration: Bart can vibrate his own molecular structure at varying degrees for a number of purposes, by adjusting to different frequencies.
- Retrocognition: After escaping the Speed Force, Bart stated that the world he had returned to was not the one he had left behind. He remembers the Pre-Flashpoint world, similar to the way Wally West does.
- Time Travel: By running fast enough, Bart is able to jump into the timestream and travel throughout it, without the aid of a Cosmic Treadmill.
- Vortex Creations: By rotating his arms at super speed or running in a circular motion, Bart can manipulate the airflow around him to create strong vortexes of wind.
- Acrobatics: Due to his superhuman agility, Bart is capable of performing acrobatic maneuvers with ease while moving at super speed.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Bart is a skilled fighter and has mastered using his super speed to his advantage during combat. Using his powers combined with his fighting skill, Bart was able to easily outmatch godspeed, to the point of forcing him to retreat. Bart managed to knocked around the Reverse Flash who was possessing Barry's body, with a successful sneak attack.
- Bart Allen was created by Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo, first appearing in The Flash (Volume 2) #92. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Bart Allen first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Flash (Volume 5) #50 by Joshua Williamson and Howard Porter.
- 47 Appearances of Bart Allen (Prime Earth)
- 56 Images featuring Bart Allen (Prime Earth)
- 15 Quotations by or about Bart Allen (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Bart Allen (Prime Earth)
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.
Young Justice member