"War Devil": The story of Virginia Dare and Roanoke is recapped. "Matches Malone" is searching for information on a missing man named Virgil Dare. Batman tails Dare to Gotham Tower, a building project led by Simon Vesper, a man killed by Spawn. Batman finds Dare and learns that he is working to
Appearing in "War Devil"
- Batman (appears also as Matches Malone)
- Spawn (Flashback and main story) (appears also as Colonel Al Simmons)
- Living Dead
- Simon Vesper (Flashback and main story)
- Virgil Dare (Dies)
- Virginia Dare (Flashback only)
- Gotham City
- Roanoke Island, North Carolina (1587 & August 13, 1590) (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "War Devil"
The story of Virginia Dare and Roanoke is recapped. "Matches Malone" is searching for information on a missing man named Virgil Dare. Batman tails Dare to Gotham Tower, a building project led by Simon Vesper, a man killed by Spawn. Batman finds Dare and learns that he is working to fulfill Vesper's plans. Vesper reappears the day before opening ceremonies. Vesper attacks and kills Dare making a pentagram with his blood and spelling at Croatoan above it. Batman and Spawn briefly fight with Batman coming out on top. Batman and Spawn begin working together to solve the mystery. Gotham Tower lights up brightly and a pentagram of burning buildings starts while the rest of Gotham goes dark. Gotham's dead rise. Batman confronts Vesper at his building's opening ceremonies. Vesper is actually "the demon Croatoan", working for Satan to collect souls for the devil's army. Spawn fights Croatoan but is overpowered. Batman helps Spawn just in time and Spawn defeats Croatoan. The dead return to their graves and the doorway to Hell is closed.
- This book is the first of two books featuring a crossover between Batman and Spawn published for 1994. The second book was published by Image Comics and Spawn receives first billing. The two books' stories are unrelated and both feature the first meeting between Batman and Spawn.
- No trivia.