"Bread and Circuses: Part One": When Batman fights a street gang over a graffiti tag, he realizes that the people in Gotham City are not afraid of him any more and are even disrespectful towards everything that Batman stands for. Batman decides that it is time to
Appearing in "Bread and Circuses: Part One"
- Two-Face (Behind the scenes)
- Jared Kern
- Bat Remote Radio
Synopsis for "Bread and Circuses: Part One"
When Batman fights a street gang over a graffiti tag, he realizes that the people in Gotham City are not afraid of him any more and are even disrespectful towards everything that Batman stands for. Batman decides that it is time to let all of Gotham know that he is back for good and to reinstate the fear in the criminal's hearts; but he needs help and he knows exactly who can help him.
Meanwhile, the Blue Boys fight against the Wreckers and the Xhosa who are working together to claim Blue Boys' territory as their own. The Blue Boys manage to keep the gangs at bay but the fight costs them the life of one of them. Foley is upset over the outcome and he believes that they must keep their forces trying to protect their territory instead of trying to go against the other street gangs. James Gordon can't help but secretly agree with Foley's way of thinking.
The Penguin reopens the Iceberg Lounge inside Davenport building and he is managing an underground trade market where he offers goods in exchange of other goods and it is a meeting place for all sort of evil-doers remaining in Gotham, as well as honest people trying to find something to eat. Secretly, a man inside the place is a spy for Oracle and keeps her abreast about any unusual activity in the club.
After Commissioner Gordon takes one last look at the fallen officer, a voice speaks to him. It is someone that Gordon knows too well and doesn't want to talk to, but the man insists. He offers Gordon his help and tells him that they should mantain an alliance in order to keep law and justice working, even in that outlaw land. Gordon tries to refuse but in the end he agrees on making an alliance with the undisclosed man.
Batman contacts Oracle in order to learn about the hangout for criminals in the "new Gotham". Oracle tells him about Penguin's Iceberg Lounge and Batman hurries there along with Batgirl. Batman wants to make his grand appearance there and he decides to go inside telling Batgirl to stay behind and that if he doesn't make it, Gotham is hers. At that moment, Penguin is organizing a competition in which the winner will take with him fresh food enough for a week of rationing, but first they must defeat the Lounge's champion: Dozer. Dozer is a big man capable of beating a regular man with ease; but before the fight is started, Batman stops it and tells the Penguin that there is a new game in town and just both of them.
- This No Man's Land events happened after Detective Comics #731. The storyline Bread and Circuses continues in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #85.
- There is a screen monitor with Mac OS logo, but the name reads Matt OS.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.