"...Where the Lights are Burning Low": Batman realizes that Gotham City's Chinatown has some energy supply running, realizing that from his previous encounter with Mr. Freeze. Batman goes to see what is the source o
- You violent street punks are doing my job for me by decimating your own ranks. I think I'll just leave you to your internecine culling and see to some decent folks who need some help...
- — Batman
Synopsis for "...Where the Lights are Burning Low"
Batman realizes that Gotham City's Chinatown has some energy supply running, realizing that from his previous encounter with Mr. Freeze. Batman goes to see what is the source of the energy in Chinatown but when he arrives there he finds lots of dead bodies lying around. Batman searches for any clue that will help him understand the situation but he finds nothing.
Batman listens to some noises and goes to see what it is all about. He finds a woman struggling with a rabid dog and then the woman kills the dog with ease. She is Lynx and was the only survivor of a street gang war. Batman is leaving her alone when Lynx attacks him and they start to fight each other. After a while, Batman learns of an underground operation that is affecting Lynx's gang as well. They decide to join forces and work together to find out is going on.
After some research, they discover that some gang of organized crime is behind the disappearance of a lot of people. Batman and Lynx go to a power plant to check the energy source and they discover that a gang of organized crime is generating energy by forcing illegal immigrants to pedal some static bicycles that transforms mechanical energy to kilowatts. They realize that the immigrants are being enslaved by the gang to keep the power running. Lynx reflects upon slavery as she suffered from it when she worked for King Snake.
Batman and Lynx try to free the immigrants but before they can realize, they are surrounded by members of the gang and all of them are ready to fight Batman and Lynx.
Appearing in "...Where the Lights are Burning Low"
- This is the first part of the storyline titled Low Road to Golden Mountain. The events of this issue take place after Detective Comics #736. No Man's Land and Low Road to Golden Mountain continues in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #90.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman: No Man's Land (2011/2012 Edition) Vol 3.
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight series
- Images from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 122
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.