"Shaman - Book Three": Bruce Wayne watches as Bennet Young dies in front of him and is unable to help him. He starts looking around the crime scene and discovers that some of the tribal artifacts in the exhibition had been taken. Suddenly, Bruce is
- A man simply isn't safe anywhere these days.
Synopsis for "Shaman - Book Three"
Bruce Wayne watches as Bennet Young dies in front of him and is unable to help him. He starts looking around the crime scene and discovers that some of the tribal artifacts in the exhibition had been taken. Suddenly, Bruce is attacked with an arrow that he manages to catch before it reaches him but he is unable to find the man who used it. The Gotham City Police Department arrive in time and ask Bruce for a statement.
Later that night, Batman follows a man that he believes is involved with the murder of Young. Batman discovers that the man is also part of the Chubala cult and he descends on all the evil doers and knocks them all down. Batman questions the last man standing and before he could give any answers, Batman is attacked from behind by a mysterious figure. The criminals recover and beat Batman while he is on the ground. They drag Batman to the eight floor of a building in construction and are ready to throw him down, but he recovers just in time to prevent it and beat them down. The mysterious man appears again and attacks Batman, forcing him to drop down to the ground using a steel rope from the construction.
The next day, Bruce visits Spurlock at the Gotham University and they discuss about the Alaskan tribes and about the Chubala deity. Spurlock does his best to explain Bruce all about the cult of Chubala, but just before he is done, Spurlock is killed with an arrow in the back. Bruce dodges a second arrow coming from a nearby tree and he finally sees the murderer, a man dressed in native Alaskan clothes and wearing a tribal bat mask.
That night, Bruce has self-doubts caused by his inability to catch the killer. He thinks about dropping the Batman business, but Alfred talks him out of it. Alfred suggests Bruce to follow his instincts and Bruce realizes that there must be a connection between the killer and the tribes in Otter Ridge, Alaska. Alfred prepares all the necessary equipment for Bruce's travel to Alaska and Bruce swears that if he fails to find the answer, he would stop his crime fighting career.
Upon arriving at Alaska, Bruce notices how the whole place has changed. Where there was only a small town with some natives, now is a big city full of tourists. Bruce spots the shaman that saved him from a certain death, but the old man is performing a sacred dance for a small crowd of tourists that would spare him some coins, which he would then spend in alcohol. Bruce follows the shaman and finds his grandaughter as well. She is extremely mad at Bruce as she blames him for all the damage done by Spurlock and his supposed "investigations". She drives Bruce to a lodge for him to stay at and in their way, she tells Bruce all the atrocities that Spurlock did to them and how he stole the sacred artifacts from the shaman and also forced him to reveal the secret stories of their tribes. Bruce is upset about the situation and wants to repair the damage done but it is too late. While they are driving to the lodge, a car appears out of nowhere in front of them and forces them to careen their vehicle out of the road to a long fall into the freezing waters of a lake.
Appearing in "Shaman - Book Three"
- Cult of Chubala
- Grandy Jimenez
- Thomas Woodley
- Gotham City Police Department
- Bennett Young (Appears only as a corpse)
- Madison Spurlock (Dies)
- Carl Fisk
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Shaman trade paperback.
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight series
- Images from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 3
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman: World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)