"Climax": Batman confronts Jean-Paul inside the abandoned Wayne Manor, attempting to talk down the unstable vigilante. Despite his honest efforts, Batman is attacked by Jean-Paul, who won't listen to reason. Batman gets ready for a
- It's over, Jean-Paul.
Appearing in "Climax"
- Thomas Wayne (Flashback only)
- Bane (Mentioned only)
- Jack Drake (Mentioned only)
- Shondra Kinsolving (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "Climax"
Batman confronts Jean-Paul inside the abandoned Wayne Manor, attempting to talk down the unstable vigilante. Despite his honest efforts, Batman is attacked by Jean-Paul, who won't listen to reason. Batman gets ready for a violent confrontation, but before he can realize, Jean-Paul has left the Manor into the Batcave. Batman then attemps to enter the cave using the grandfather clock entrance, but finds that it has been booby trapped. Knowing that any entrance attempt might prove dangerous, Batman uses an alternate route.
Batman finds the spot he fell through as a child and he enters the cave through the narrow tunnel. After a quick examination, Batman locates Jean-Paul sitting in front of the Batcomputer. Batman realizes that his enemy has a slim hope of salvation and he tries to talk him into removing the armor, but Jean-Paul refuses and attacks Batman. The armor causes Jean-Paul's attacks to be slow and clumsy, giving Batman the advantage he needs to avoid violence. When Jean-Paul lunges against Batman, he moves aside and Jean-Paul breaks the Batcomputer, taking an electric charge on full force.
When Batman notices that Jean-Paul is exhausted, he leads him to the narrow tunnel which he used to enter the cave. Jean-Paul follows him and activates the night vision of his helmet. At the very entrance of the tunnel, Jean-Paul is unable to reach Batman because of his armor and he decides to remove it entirely except for the helmet. When Jean-Paul comes face to face against Batman, the latter removes the baffle that covers the entrance, allowing the sunlight to shine upon Jean-Paul. The light blinds Jean-Paul as he had his night vision activated and he finally removes the helmet. When he is faced by Batman, he admits that there is only one Batman and that has always been Bruce Wayne.
As the fight comes to an end, Batman helps Jean-Paul get out of the Batcave and tells him to find his own way to redeem himself. Jean-Paul finally walks away from a life of torment, but Bruce Wayne knows that he will have to carry on with his job and until that moment comes, he is simply Bruce Wayne as he walks towards Wayne Manor.
- This issue is the finale to the three-book "Knightfall" saga. It is followed by three aftermath issues.
- This issue is reprinted in the trade paperbacks Batman: Knightfall Part Three - KnightsEnd and Batman: Knightfall Volume Three - KnightsEnd.
- Jean-Paul Valley appeared last in Detective Comics #677. He appears next in the first story in Showcase '94 #10.
- Bruce Wayne appeared last in Detective Comics #677. He appears next in Robin (Volume 4) #9.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 63 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight series
- Images from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 63
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
[[Category:Batman: KnightsEnd|Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 0063]]
|Knightfall Saga Crossover|
This comic issue is a part of the massive Knightfall crossover event. Knightfall consisted of three parts, Knightfall, Knightquest, and KnightsEnd. The trilogy involved Batman's back being broken by Bane, the debut and subsequent descent into madness of Bruce Wayne's successor Batman Jean-Paul Valley, and Bruce Wayne's recovery and reclamation of his former title, combatting Valley himself. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Knightfall Crossover" category.