- I'm Matt Hagen – nobody's chump!
- — Clayface
Appearing in "Clay, Part 1"
- Batman (Flashback and main story)
- Xylas (Flashback only)
- Soda (Dies in flashback)
- Dill (Dies in flashback)
- Lisa (Flashback and main story)
- GCPD (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "Clay, Part 1"
Batman was checking on the hangouts of Boss Xylas, who was rumored to take a delivery of a shipment of diamonds, when he saw Xylas' men keeping a girl captive. Batman interrupted them until Clayface burst in and killed the two men, taking the girl and leaving Batman bleeding on the ground. Batman is so spooked by his encounter with death that he calls his attorney to update his will.
Meanwhile, at a graveyard, Clayface tells the girl, Lisa, about yesterday's events.
Matt and Lisa were out boating when Matt extracted diamonds from a buoy. Suddenly, they were shot at by Xylas and his men, forcing Matt to dive under the water and enter a cave while Lisa was captured. Matt found a pool of a clay substance and fell in, turning him into a clay monster. Clayface discovers that he can shapeshift into anything he imagines, and decides to use his new powers for crime.
- Collected in Batman: Monsters.
- No trivia.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)