"Contagion, Part Seven: Angel of Death": Poison Ivy is taking all the goods and money from the wealthy people of Babylon Towers in exchange for a splash of the vaccine Batman gave her to test if it worked as an im
- This might not be the time to say it... but there might never be time again -- I hate this city -- the crime and corruption and the filth and the subway and the crowds! But... I love it, too. It's part of me, the way it's part of you. If Gotham dies, they might as well bury me with her. There've been a lot of regrets in my life, Batman. But there's one thing I won't ever regret -- that you and I fought in the same war.
- -- Jim Gordon
Appearing in "Contagion, Part Seven: Angel of Death"
- Gotham City Police Department
- James Gordon
- Joel Rivers (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "Contagion, Part Seven: Angel of Death"
Poison Ivy is taking all the goods and money from the wealthy people of Babylon Towers in exchange for a splash of the vaccine Batman gave her to test if it worked as an immunity. Most of the people inside Babylon were already dead and those who were given a taste of the serum believed they were cured. Meanwhile outside Babylon the loots and riots are starting to get closer to the towers. Batman, Nightwing, Robin and Huntress stop some of the vandals and hold their groud for a little longer but Batman is worried about Ivy and Robin starts to feel weak.
James Gordon lead some of the GCPD to Babylon and help to calm the people outside. When Batman decided to go inside Babylon looking for some answers of the vaccine and Ivy; Gordon followed him without Batman's knowledge. Inside Babylon, the people realized that the serum didn't worked and wanted to lynch Ivy. She then convinced the Babylonians that she was immune to the virus and that she could pass on that immunity to them with a kiss. She had kissed some people when Batman arrived to stop her from poisoning more people. She tried to escape but Gordon knocked her down.
Outside Babylon, the riots intensified and Huntress, Robin and Nightwing have to hold the ground. Suddenly Robin faints but recovers almost instantly just to discover that blood was leaking from his eyes. Robin was infected, most likely because of the spat he received by one of the rioters. Nightwing took Robin from the danger zone and Huntress alone wasn't able to hold on much longer. The people went berserk and were ready and set to burn and destroy Babylon Towers while all the infected inside were dying helplessly.
- This is the seventh part of the Batman: Contagion storyline; as indicated in the cover.
- The events of this issue takes place between Batman #529 and Detective Comics #696.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Contagion collected edition, as well as the 2016 edition.
- There is a reference to Edgar Allan Poe's story The Masque of the Red Death. The story of Babylon Towers and it's inhabitants bears a resemblance to this Poe's story.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 49 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Shadow of the Bat series
- Images from Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 49
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
The events from this issue are related to the Contagion crossover that went through the Batman Family Titles in 1996, in which Gotham City had an epidemic of a mutant strand of the Ebola virus. The events of Contagion lead into Batman: Legacy, Batman: Cataclysm, and ultimately No Man's Land.