"Bread and Circuses: Conclusion": Batman disrupted the combats organized by Penguin at the new Iceberg Lounge. Batman wanted to make an impression in presence of all the low-lifes of Gotham City and that was the perfect occasio
Appearing in "Bread and Circuses: Conclusion"
- Gotham City Police Department
- Razor Eddie (Single appearance)
- Eugene (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Bread and Circuses: Conclusion"
Batman disrupted the combats organized by Penguin at the new Iceberg Lounge. Batman wanted to make an impression in presence of all the low-lifes of Gotham City and that was the perfect occasion. Batman punched Penguin and broke his nose. Then, Batman told Penguin that he would be the one to take down his champion in exchange of the innocent people that Penguin was holding as prisoners. Penguin agrees but with the condition that Batman must take down not only Dozer but all of the Penguin's henchmen. Without many options left, Batman agreed. He managed to take Dozer down easily but that was just the first of many more fighters ready to fight him.
Meanwhile, the Gotham City Police Department received news of something happening at the Xhosa and Wreckers territory and when they arrived at the scene they found most of the gangs beaten and killed. Most of the Blue Boys were shocked by the fact that the territory was tagged with their symbol by whoever did the massacre, but Commissioner Gordon knew too well who was responsible.
Batman was struggling with the Penguin's henchmen and he was taking them down one by one. The Penguin was pleased to see that Batman has become his newest attraction and decided to gain some profit out of that by making the people bet for a winner.
At the GCPD Headquarters, the remaining cops were happy to learn that most of the remaining gangs in Gotham were afraid of them after learning what happened to the Xhosa and Wreckers. The gangs wanted to negotiate with them about putting themselves under the GCPD protection. All the officers where happy but a letter for Gordon arrived telling him: Justice has been served. They were the first of many.
Penguin's plan backfired on him when he learned that all the bets were on Batman and he would lose everything if Batman beat all of his henchmen. Penguin stopped the combats and told the people that Batman has cheated as the combats were to death and he hasn't killed anyone. The crowd went mad and wanted to destory Penguin before Batman could stop them. Batman told them to stay put and the people did; and then he told the Penguin that from that point on, Batman was in charge and that he must tell him every bit of information if he wanted to continue running his Lounge. Penguin agreed and before he could put conditions to the agreement; Batman was gone.
Batgirl started to worry about Batman when she saw all the people coming out of the Lounge but a few seconds later, Batman surprised her by appearing out of nowhere, in a better mood than before.
- This is the last part of the storyline Bread and Circuses. The previous part is in Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #117. No Man's Land continues in Batman #565.
- There is a screen monitor with Mac OS logo, but the name reads Matt OS.
- There is a man wearing a Batman T-shirt among the Iceberg Lounge's crowd.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 85 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Shadow of the Bat series
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.