"Positive Role Model": Batman and Lynx were surrounded by the gang called The Fist of Heavenly Serendipity and Lynx tried to taunt them to attack and make mistakes. Jade-Faced Wu, the leader of the gang appeared and told Lynx that her efforts were
- You think that being a hero is fun? That it's a game? A hero is a person who stands apart. A hero is no longer part of the mainstream humanity. A hero treads the razor's edge between heaven and hell because a hero is not bound by sentimentality or the vagaries of public opinion. A hero is held to a higher standard of truth and justice.-- I'm a crime-fighter and a detective. I don't call myself a hero. It's not a job description...it's an apelation--bestowed upon one by posterity
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Positive Role Model"
- Mei (Dies)
- The Fist of Heavenly Serendipity
- Jade-Faced Wu (Dies)
- Doctor Lum (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Positive Role Model"
Batman and Lynx were surrounded by the gang called The Fist of Heavenly Serendipity and Lynx tried to taunt them to attack and make mistakes. Jade-Faced Wu, the leader of the gang appeared and told Lynx that her efforts were futile and then he ordered his men to attack the duo. Batman and Lynx fought them all and were beating them when Lynx decided to go straight for Wu and attack the head of the gang. Batman followed her to the main building where Wu was along with the illegal immigrants. Batman and Lynx stood their ground and fought them. The way Lynx was fightwing inspired a little girl that was enslaved as well as the other immigrants. Lynx did her best but she and Batman were outnumbered and because of exhaustion, Lynx started to lose against Wu's men. Batman took Lynx and they moved out of the place. Wu stared at the both of them while leaning on a broken window. The little girl called Mei was angry at Wu and his people and seeing the man in that position, she decided to take matters in her own hands.
Batman took Lynx to a doctor in Chinatown and the doctor healed Lynx as best as he could. When Lynx recovered she wanted to go back to the war zone and despite Batman and the doctor's denial, she went there. Batman followed her and upon arriving back at the place, they found it in complete silence and later they found that Wu has been killed but the people was standing in a funeral march carrying a little coffing through the streets of chinatown. Lynx asked an old man what happened and the old man told her that the little girl, Mei pushed Wu to his death after being inspired by Lynx's bravery. That action caused a rebellion that ended up in the slaves fighting back for their freedom and the death of the gang members in hands of the oppressed slaves. But the rebellion took its toll and Mei was killed in the insurrection.
Lynx was completely devastated for the outcome and demanded Batman for an explanation. Batman told her the cold truth about being a hero and she told him that she would never care again for that kind of things.
- This is the second and last part of the storyline titled Low Road to Golden Mountain. The previous chapter was Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #122. No Man's Land continues in Batman #570.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 90 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Shadow of the Bat series
- Images from Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 90
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.