"Secret Santa, Part II": Batman looks at the tapes of a break-in into the Arkham Asylum and identifies the intruder as Captain Carl Finley, a special forces operative who had once volunteered for the government's secret program, intended to make a human into the ultimate super-human crimefighter
Batman: The Adventures Continue #16 is a chapter in the digital-first series Batman: The Adventures Continue (Volume 1 (Digital)) with a cover date of December, 2020.
Synopsis for "Secret Santa, Part II"
Batman looks at the tapes of a break-in into the Arkham Asylum and identifies the intruder as Captain Carl Finley, a special forces operative who had once volunteered for the government's secret program, intended to make a human into the ultimate super-human crimefighter. The Joker however performed a surgery to twist his brain and make him loyal to him, with Finley as a result becoming the "Straightman". As Batman wonders what Finley was after, Dr. Joan Leland reveals that he was trying into the room where they store the weapons taken from the criminals. Showing Batman the tapes, she further reveals that Finley wasn't after the Joker's weapons, but the Scarface puppet, which was used to convince Arnold Wesker that it wasn't real. Batman soon rushes away with Robin in order to stop Joker from misusing it.
Spying on Wesker's apartment using a drone, Batman and Robin find that he is alone. They however soon discover an invitation by Harley Quinn for a Christmas party, hosted by her and Poison Ivy, for fellow criminals. Later at the Iceberg Lounge, Harley and Ivy welcome Wesker to their party, expressing joy that he's left Scarface behind. As Wesker questions her about the Penguin's absence, Harley turns the conversation to the Carpenter Jenna Duffy and asks if he knows her. Wesker states he does as she used to fix Scarface's bullet-holes. As he gets hesitant about his past, Jenna tells him to not worry about it. She states that after Penguin hired her to refurbish the club, she convinced him for letting Harley use it while he was away and in return she paid him for it.
At his secret getaway of "Key Nest", Penguin expresses relief at getting away from Gotham and decides to check how Jenna's work is coming along. After hearing music while talking to her, Penguin questions if there's a party going on. Jenna denies it and states she just turned on the jukebox. When Penguin states the club has no jukebox, she quickly cuts off the call. Batman decides to infiltrate the party disguised as the henchman "Knute Brody", suspecting Joker might use it to hand back Scarface to Wesker, which will be troublesome. As Baby-Doll is given a Mai Tai by March Hare, a woman sitting near the bar questions her age. Baby-Doll gets angry, but Wesker calms her, stating she doesn't seem to be one of them. The woman states she's never been to such a strange party and Wesker agrees the guests are eccentric.
Harley questions Ivy about the woman who is talking with Wesker, and Ivy reveals that she is Eileen Kwan, the owner of the nursery where she buys fertilizers from. As Harley gets upset at her stating that she likes Kwan but only likes her sometimes, Ivy states she was joking and thanks her for hosting the party, since the holidays are a difficult time for criminals. The Joker soon enters the club, claiming he decided to come with Straightman after hearing about the party and only comes with goodwill in his heart. Harley refuses to trust him or let him distribute his gift, with Joker stating he'll then hand it to someone neutral. Batman soon shows up as Knute Brody in a Santa Claus costume, but Joker fails to recognize him. The other criminals soon tell him his name and that he is Gotham's most incompetent henchman.
"Brody" claims that he was employed to play Santa at the Gotham Orphanage, but ended up at the wrong address, As he tries to take his leave, Joker stops him and offers him the job of distributing his gift to he person mentioned on the tag. Batman then pretends to misread it as Roxy Rocket, but Straightman stops her from taking it. Brody claims the tag is smeared when Joker tells him to read it again, and the latter decides to distribute on his own. Brody starts throwing the gifts to spoil his plan and tells Robin to call the police. He then tells everyone he saw police nearby ten minutes ago, resulting in everyone fleeing. Brody then takes Wesker through the backdoor and Wesker thanks him, since he would be in trouble if the police caught him with others.
Brody hands Wesker a gift, who thanks him before leaving for the subway. Brody soon gets struck from behind by Straightman and Joker states they'll have to make sure Scarface and Wesker are reunited. As Finley questions Joker what to do with Brody, his boss orders him to crush his larynx and break his bones. They are however forced to spare him as the police arrive, and flee.
Appearing in "Secret Santa, Part II"
- Arnold Wesker
- Eileen Kwan (First appearance)
- Harley Quinn
- Joan Leland
- Poison Ivy
- Robin (Tim Drake)
- Wonderland Gang
- Captain Boomerang
- Clock King
- Condiment King
- Gotham City Police Department
- Commissioner Gordon (Mentioned only)
- King Shark
- Kite-Man (First appearance)
- Magpie (First appearance)
- The Ratcatcher (First appearance)
- Roxy Rocket
- Robin (Jason Todd) (Mentioned only)
- United States Army Special Forces (Mentioned only)
- Gotham City
- Key Nest (First appearance)
- This Chapter is published in print in Batman: The Adventures Continue #8.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue Vol 1 16 (Digital) on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: The Adventures Continue series
- Images from Batman: The Adventures Continue Vol 1 16 (Digital)
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- DC Animated Universe Recommended Reading
- Adventures in the DC Universe (Volume 1)
- The Batgirl Adventures #1
- Batman Adventures (Volume 1)
- Batman Adventures (Volume 2)
- The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years (Volume 1)
- The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
- The Batman and Robin Adventures (Volume 1)
- Batman and Superman Adventures: World's Finest
- Batman Beyond (Volume 1)
- Batman Beyond (Volume 2)
- Batman Beyond (Volume 4)
- Batman Beyond Unlimited (Volume 1)
- Batman Beyond Universe (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Adventures (Volume 1)
- Batman: Harley and Ivy (Volume 1)
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - The Animated Movie #1
- Gotham Girls (Volume 1)
- Justice League Adventures (Volume 1)
- Justice League Unlimited (Volume 1)
- Superman Adventures (Volume 1)
- Superman & Batman Magazine (Volume 1)
Links and References
- No external links.