"The Fiend Is False!": False False begins a crime spree under his most prominent impersonation yet: millionaire Bruce Wayne. Batman and Robin quickly catch onto this deception, but find themselves stymied when the police charge "Bruce Wayne" for the crimes and put out a bulletin for his arrest.
Appearing in "The Fiend Is False!"
- Dr. Chan
- Mr. Pourtin
- Gotham City
- Fiendish Flophouse
- GCPD Headquarters
- Gotham Museum of Science
- Pourtin's Jewelers
- Stately Wayne Manor
- South Dakota
- Bat-Jet (First appearance)
- Riddler Ride
Synopsis for "The Fiend Is False!"
False False begins a crime spree under his most prominent impersonation yet: millionaire Bruce Wayne. Batman and Robin quickly catch onto this deception, but find themselves stymied when the police charge "Bruce Wayne" for the crimes and put out a bulletin for his arrest.
While Batman and Robin work to clear Bruce's name, False Face and his gang steal their biggest prize yet: the famed Tiger Topaz. By the time the Dynamic Duo arrive on the scene, the thieves have already fled the city, their only leave-behind a gloating note:
So long, Gotham. I can't top this job... so I'm out of here. For once I'm going to slow down and do less. And enjoy my dead presidents!
Recalling False Face's modus operandi, Batman concludes the note is a false clue, and its bolded words should be reversed into rush and more. In other words, False Face and his gang have fled to Mount Rushmore, home to the largest faces in the United States - all dead presidents.
The Dynamic Duo waste no time flying to the famed monument, spurring the thieves into the nearby woods. There, False Face's underlings are picked off one at a time; still defiant, False Face threatens to dynamite all of Mount Rushmore, but Batman distracts him with an edifying speech, allowing Robin to snip the detonating cord. Now totally defenseless, False Face falls to Batman, who soon recovers his loot and clears Bruce Wayne's name.
Appearing in "The Joker's Layoff Riot!"
- C. Emerson Winterdale
- Gotham City
- Gotham Books
- Trick Streamers
Synopsis for "The Joker's Layoff Riot!"
The Joker successfully robs a popular game-show's jackpot, but bitterly notes only one of his men had actually helped in the getaway. After an evening watching business news, the Clown Prince of Crime is inspired to fire his whole gang except that one henchman. This "downsizing" not only leaves him a bigger share of loot, but also lets him evade Batman and Robin (who have grown used to picking him out of large retinues) at his next heist.
While troubled by the Joker's new efficiency, Batman correctly judges it unsustainable. Indeed, the Joker quickly overworks his one lackey to the point of exhaustion, and their following heist fails miserably against the Dynamic Duo. To add insult to injury, Batman reminds the apprehended Joker that his henchman's condition violates many labor laws - a charge which will surely compound his sentence.
- This book was first published on January 22, 2014.
- The contents of this issue were originally released digitally as Batman '66 Chapters Nineteen-Twenty-One on November 6, November 13 and November 20, 2013, respectively. Chapters Nineteen and Twenty comprise "The Fiend Is False!" (with Twenty originally titled "Chase to the Face") and Chapter Twenty-One is "The Joker's Layoff Riot!".
- Blaze has inexplicably returned to False Face's gang, even though her last appearance on the original series saw her reforming and retiring to New Zealand. However, it is possible that "The Fiend is False!" takes place beforehand, as False Face, like most of the series' villains, has no real chronology to his appearances.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman '66 Vol 1 7 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman '66 series
- Images from Batman '66 Vol 1 7