"Zero Hour for Earth!": When an Interpol agent is assassinated at Gotham Airport, Batman and Robin decide to investigate the involvement of the international crime organization called the Hydra of Crime.
Appearing in "Zero Hour for Earth!"
- Jim Gordon
- Unnamed CIA Agent
- Hydra of Crime (Single appearance)
- Karabi (Single appearance)
- An Interpol Agent (Dies)
- Interpol Holland Chief
- Singapore Pelican Dancer/Interpol Agent
- Hong Kong Interpol Agent
- The Netherlands
- United States of America
Synopsis for "Zero Hour for Earth!"
Flying to Holland, and meeting with Interpol's chief, Batman and Robin begin following a series of clues that take them around the world in an apparent attempt to discover what the Hydra of Crimes plot is, and foil it before they can launch their attack on the world.
Traveling from Holland, to India, to Greece, to France and finally Hong Kong, the Dynamic Duo learn the secret location of Karabi, a criminal mastermind bent on starting World War III in a location in Southeast Asia. They also learn that Karabi has secured a nuclear weapon and is planning launch it into an unnamed country with the intent of starting a war that would envelop the world.
Finding Karabi's secret base, Batman and Robin are captured by his men and locked in a cell where they are forced to listen an alarm clock which is timing the moment when Karabi will launch the nuclear warhead at the opposing country. Tricking the soldiers into letting them by offering knowledge of how Karabi's plan will fail, Batman knocks them out when they're caught off guard by the ringing alarm clock.
Batman and Robin then storm the facility which Karabi has setup to launch the missile, and stop him at the last moment and turn him over to Interpol.
Reading over Karabi's diary, they learn of an Hydra operation in Switzerland. using their knowledge of time zones and the power of the Batplane's engine they foil the robbery. After they have finished their mission, they return to the States and laugh about how they got home at the same time they rounded up the Hydra of Crime, remarking that because of the time zones they have been in three places at the same time.
- When Batman explains to Robin that Karabi is going to launch a nuclear bomb from one country at another which it is hostile towards, the countries are referred to as "Country A" and "Country B", the editors note on the remark state that "For security reasons, we cannot reveal the true names of the actual countries involved." Given the year this comic was originally published this is of course an allusion to the Cold War, and the countries they are implying here are most probably the United States and either Russia or China.
- Reprinted in Batman: The Dynamic Duo Archives Vol 1
- No trivia.
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 167 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 167
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)