"The Batman's Biographer": Batman and Robin meet an old man who is truly passionate about the dynamic duo's adventures and is even planning to write a book with some of their most interesting adventures. However, the old man's knowledge
Appearing in "The Batman's Biographer"
- B. Boswell Browne (Single appearance)
- Conjurer (Single appearance)
- Creeper (Single appearance)
- Officer Flannery (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Batman's Biographer"
Batman and Robin meet an old man who is truly passionate about the dynamic duo's adventures and is even planning to write a book with some of their most interesting adventures. However, the old man's knowledge is used for evil when a criminal by the name of the Conjurer forces the old man to reveal some of Batman and Robin's crime fighting tricks. Despite his clear advantage, Conjurer is unable to defeat Batman and Robin, mainly because the old man is willing to sacrifice his own life in order to allow Batman and Robin to capture the criminal.
In the end, Batman and Robin not only defeat Conjurer, but also meet with their greatest fan in the world, making him the happiest man.
Appearing in "The Penguin Goes A-Hunting"
- Turk (Single appearance)
- Lefty (Single appearance)
- Warden Keyes (Single appearance)
- Mr. Gullet (Single appearance)
- Mr. Throckmorton (Single appearance)
- Miss Meacham (Single appearance)
- Tyrus Wolff
Synopsis for "The Penguin Goes A-Hunting"
Penguin is truly offended when he is not considered among the greatest of Batman's foes and he learns that he doesn't fit the list mainly because of his trick umbrellas, which nobody takes seriously. Penguin decides to change his weapon of choice and he starts using all sorts of weapons, from fishing rods, to horses and hunting gear. However, after a few encounters with Batman and Robin, Penguin is ironically defeated after some umbrellas prevent his getaway.
Appearing in "Rogues Pageant"
- Ducky Mallard (Single appearance)
- Dazie Dickins (Only appearance; dies)
- Santo Pablo Police
- Officer Rourke
- Officer Connors
Synopsis for "Rogues Pageant"
Alfred suggests Bruce and Dick to go on vacation, but when they arrive at their destination, they realize that some criminals have infiltrated a famous costume parade that is taking place in the town and in order to prevent them from committing crimes, Batman and Robin get into action. Making a strong alliance with the police department of the town, Batman and Robin capture the criminals and become the main attraction of the crowded parade.
As they return home, Alfred was already aware of their heroic deeds, but instead of scolding them for not taking a break even on vacation, he tells them that the next time they go on vacation, he would go with them to assist them in any case they might encounter.
Appearing in "Adventure of the Vitamin Vandals"
- Phantom Raiders (Single appearance)
- Archie Gibbons (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Adventure of the Vitamin Vandals"
A group of unknown criminals are stealing fish from all the fishermen in California. While Bruce and Dick are taking a well deserved rest on the beach, they learn of the mysterious case and they burst into action as Batman and Robin. The duo discover that the unknown criminals are the Phantom Raiders and that they are a highly organized criminal group. Infiltrating on their secret hideout, Batman and Robin are able to sabotage their criminal activities and capture the leader of the gang.
- This book was first published on April 6, 1943.
- Reprinted in Batman: The Dark Knight Archives Vol 5.
- On the first story there's a reference to the fourth story of Batman #13.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 17 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 17