"Closed Circuit!": The Electrocutioner, a self-appointed executioner of criminals who slip through the hands of the law, begins a series of crook-killings in Gotham City with his electrically-charged suit. A touch from one of his hands delivers a severe shoc
Batman #331 is an issue of the series Batman (Volume 1) with a cover date of January, 1981.
Synopsis for "Closed Circuit!"
The Electrocutioner, a self-appointed executioner of criminals who slip through the hands of the law, begins a series of crook-killings in Gotham City with his electrically-charged suit. A touch from one of his hands delivers a severe shock, but when both his hands touch a victim the circuit is completed and the victim dies.
On his quest to stop the executioner, Batman has three encounters with the Electrocutioner. In the first, killer Mike Caine dies; in the second, Batman rescues Dane Whitney; in the third, the Electrocutioner falls through a window, grips a metal railing, and shocks himself, so that he lets go and plunges off a cliff into the river below. Batman assumes the villain has died, but a hand holding to a rock in the river indicates the opposite.
Despite the growing rift between him and Batman due to his decision to drop out of college, Robin traces Ronald Watkins to Gregorian Falstaff's headquarters. He also learns that six months back, Wayne Enterprises acquired a dozen of the seediest tenements in Gotham, and the fact has made the headlines of the Daily Star. Bruce, noting the paper is published by Falstaff, says that he will have to have it out with his corpulent competitor.
Later, Talia arrives at the Wayne Foundation Penthouse, seeking sanctuary in the wake of Ra's al Ghul's apparent death. Robin is vehemently opposed to the idea, but Batman agrees to it, saying Robin needs to learn more about "people, and about relationships!" Robin snaps that Batman is the one who has a lot to learn, and stomps out.
Appearing in "Closed Circuit!"
- Electrocutioner (First appearance)
- Caroline Crown
- Gregorian Falstaff (Behind the scenes)
- Ronald Watkins
- Talia al Ghul (Cameo)
- Spike Rafferty (Only appearance; dies)
- Mike Caine (Only appearance; dies)
- Samson (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Wolf In The Fold"
Tipped off that special police investigator Mark Rearden has vanished, Batman disguises himself as policeman Al Nelson with Nelson's consent and goes undercover to find the "inside man" in the department responsible for his disappearance. Neither of his teammates, Hank Samuels or Frank Trask, admit knowing where Rearden is.
Batman continues his investigation at the GCPD Headquarters and finds the files on the investigation team have been stolen, with a greasy substance left behind on the folder. Commissioner Gordon finds a bomb in his file boxes, and gets Batman to help him disarm it. Afterwards, they corner Hank Samuels, who left the grease stains on the file after practicing on the target range with a freshly-oiled gun. Batman disarms Samuels and forces him to reveal where Rearden is captive, after which they rescue the missing agent.
Appearing in "Wolf In The Fold"
- Gotham City Police Department
- Al Nelson (Single appearance)
- Frank Trask (Single appearance)
- Hank Samuels (Single appearance)
- Mark Rearden (Single appearance)
- "Closed Circuit!" is reprinted in Tales of the Batman: Marv Wolfman Vol. 1.
- Batman intimidates a criminal named Michael Caine in this issue.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman: World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)