"Squid": Batman is on the lookout for the associates of the crimelord called Tony Falco, who has been already captured by the authorities. However, during his investigations, Batman learns that most of them are being recruited by the Squid
Batman #357 is an issue of the series Batman (Volume 1) with a cover date of March, 1983.
Synopsis for "Squid"
Batman is on the lookout for the associates of the crimelord called Tony Falco, who has been already captured by the authorities. However, during his investigations, Batman learns that most of them are being recruited by the Squid, a former spy turned gangster.
Meanwhile, Dick Grayson goes to a circus in New Jersey, where his friend Waldo introduces him to the Todds, the circus' trapeze artists. Unknown to Dick, the circus' owner, Mr. Sloan is being blackmailed by a crook only known as Croc, who runs a protection racket.
Later, Batman has learned that the Squid is planning to get rid of all competition to become Gotham's first crimelord. Knowing this, Batman prepares a plan to save Tony Falco, who is bound to be sentenced and prosecuted in court. After the session, Falco is sentenced to prison, but during transport, the Squid releases him and takes him to his hideout. In the abandoned aquarium, Squid reveals that he already knows that the man he just released is not Falco, but in reality is Batman in disguise. With his plan discovered, Batman has no choice but to fight Squid's henchmen, but he is easily outnumbered and captured. Finally and in revenge for their past encounter, Squid throws Batman inside the tank where his giant squid will devour the Dark Knight.
Appearing in "Squid"
- Mr. Ronson
- Gertrude (First appearance)
- Bobba (Single appearance)
- Lester (Single appearance)
- Hamilton Hill
- Killer Croc (Cameo)
- Waldo Flynn
- Jason Todd (First appearance)
- Joseph Todd (First appearance)
- Trina Todd (First appearance)
- Gotham City Police Department
- Joey Taylor (Single appearance)
- Mr. Sloan
- Eddie "Nose-Biter" Colson (Only appearance; dies)
- This issue is reprinted in Tales of the Batman: Gerry Conway Vol. 3.
- The events of this issue take place after Detective Comics #523 and the story continues in Detective Comics #524.
- The editor's note about Squid's previous appearance in page 9, panel 3, incorrectly indicates the event as happening in Detective Comics #499. In reality, the event happened in Detective Comics #497.
- Issue includes a letter from future DC Comics editor Kevin Dooley.
- This comic is the first appearance of both Jason Todd and Killer Croc.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)