"Messenger of Zeus": Maxie Zeus's girlfriend Iris visits him in Arkham Asylum but becomes alarmed when he begins ranting about the Bat-Demon which he believes defeated him and which will be too powerful for his followers. He orders that a forthcoming operation be
Appearing in "Messenger of Zeus"
- Alfred Pennyworth
- Gotham City Police Department
- Jack Drake
- Shondra Kinsolving (First appearance)
- Tim Drake
- Maxie Zeus Gang
- Ace Pheeny
- Harpy (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Messenger of Zeus"
Maxie Zeus's girlfriend Iris visits him in Arkham Asylum but becomes alarmed when he begins ranting about the Bat-Demon which he believes defeated him and which will be too powerful for his followers. He orders that a forthcoming operation be postponed as it is destined to fail without his own guidance. Meanwhile Batman confronts Ace Pheeny, one of Maxie's followers, for information on what the gang is up to. All that Pheeny can tell him is an overheard phrase, "A box for the Batman". Elsewhere, the other members of Maxie's gang discuss the robbery, which involves a Greek funerary urn from 435BC. They agree that Maxie wants it for sentimental reasons, because he believes he saw it more than two thousand years ago, but with him out of the picture they plan to sell it. However Iris and accuses them of plotting behind Maxie's back and passes on his message to delay the operation until he is there to lead. The gang refuse and when one pushes her away she falls and strikes her head before wandering away in a daze. She runs into Dr. Shondra Kinsolving, who sees that she is injured and treats her head wound. Iris continues babbling about how the gang will suffer Maxie's wrath if they disobey him but as her head clears she declares that she is no longer a messenger of Zeus but his avenger. Batman is summoned to Arkham where the retiring Director plays him a tape of Iris's visit, in which Maxie refers to the job he wants postponed as 'the dust-bucket'. In the Batcave Batman tries to work out what this means. Tim arives and tells him that his father looks set to buy the mansion next door, then gives him the clue to solve the puzzle. Batman rushes off to the Museum, where the urn is to be put on display the next day, When he gets there he finds Maxie's gang already there, but so is Iris, wearing a winged costume and calling herself the Harpy. She takes down some of Maxie's men and Batman deals with the others, but she identifies him as the Bat-Demon and attacks him. As they fight Maxie's men recover and escape with the urn, but the Harpy lets them go as she is more interested in destorying Batman.
- No special notes.
This is the first appearance of Dr. Shondra Kinsolving, who helps aid Batman back to full strength after Knightfall.
This is also the first appearance of the Harpy.
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 481 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 481
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)