"Killer's Bane": Following the flood that has flushed him out of the sewer systems for the past six months, the villain known as Killer Croc has taken to living in the Gotham City alleyways. He is tormented by visions of his past, calling to mind hurtful incident
- I mean, can you imagine - Gotham without the Batman?
- — Robin
Appearing in "Killer's Bane"
- Alfred Pennyworth
- Armand Krol (Behind the scenes)
- Batman (Jean-Paul Valley) (First appearance as Batman)
- Shondra Kinsolving
Synopsis for "Killer's Bane"
Following the flood that has flushed him out of the sewer systems for the past six months, the villain known as Killer Croc has taken to living in the Gotham City alleyways. He is tormented by visions of his past, calling to mind hurtful incidents where his peers would routinely mock him about his physical features. In combination with his natural, instinctive rage, Croc's emotional state erupts into a wave of violence and he begins going berserk through the city streets. News crews capture his latest rampage, as he begins terrorizing the district known as Eden Park.
Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne visits unorthodox Doctor Shondra Kinsolving at the botanical gardens. He is concerned about his recent anxiety attacks and his inability to relax, despite a constant state of fatigue. Shondra suggests that his physical fatigue may be psychological in nature, and provides him with a supply of sedatives. After returning home, Bruce takes the sedatives and falls asleep.
From his penthouse apartment, Bane and his cohorts witness Killer Croc's frenzy on the television. Bird tells Bane that Croc is a powerful foe who nearly defeated the Batman on several occasions. Bane elects to face Croc on his own – as a stepping-stone towards his ultimate battle with the Dark Knight Detective.Back at Wayne Manor, Tim and Alfred watch the same news broadcast of Croc's rampage. Tim knows that Bruce is incapable of action right now, so instead he recruits Jean-Paul Valley. He gives him a spare Batman costume and tells him that he must face Killer Croc.
The two heroes encounter Croc at the Eden Park Mall. Jean-Paul puts up a strong front, but he doesn't have Batman's physical prowess to rely upon. Killer Croc easily tosses him about, and not even Robin can sufficiently slow down Croc's attack. Suddenly, Bane arrives and interrupts the fight, pouncing on Croc, breaking both arms and tossing him into a wall. He turns towards Jean-Paul and instantly realizes that he is not the true Batman. He pledges to return once the real Batman is prepared to face him.
- This book was first published on December 23, 1992.
- This issue is a lead-in to the upcoming "Knightfall" storyline.
- Batman appears as Bruce Wayne only in this issue.
- The events from this issue take place in the month of January.
- This issue includes a one-page AIDS awareness public service announcement featuring Changeling, Nightwing and Troia of the New Titans.
- This is the first appearance of Jean-Paul Valley as the Batman. However, he will not assume the identity on a regular basis until Batman #498.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 489 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 489
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)