"Tears of Blood": Robin managed to get Stuart's blood sample to Batman so he can develop a vaccine from it's antibodies. To be sure of it's effectiveness Batman told [[Harvey Bullock (New Earth)|Harvey Bullo
- Salvation in a bottle, billionaires! What am I bid?!
Appearing in "Tears of Blood"
- Gotham City Police Department
- James Gordon
- Jeremiah Arkham
- Mortimer Gunt
- Chambers (Babylon Towers)
- Johnny (Appears only as a corpse)
Synopsis for "Tears of Blood"
Robin managed to get Stuart's blood sample to Batman so he can develop a vaccine from it's antibodies. To be sure of it's effectiveness Batman told Harvey Bullock to ask Mr. Gunt if a vaccine can be made of the blood of a survivor of the plague. To Batman's dismay, the mutation speed of the virus prevented the blood of any survivor to create an cure.
Azrael took Batman a second sample from the second survivor without knowing that it was futile. Nightwing joined Batman and Robin at the batcave. Batman sent the two of them to stop the riots that were happening at Babylon Towers's doors while he went to find the only known person immune to any agent including virus: Poison Ivy.
Batman couldn't enter Babylon Towers without being infected so he required Poison Ivy to deliver a potential immunity he developed from the blood samples to the people inside Babylon. He convinced Jeremiah Arkham to let her out of Arkham Asylum just once. Batman guided Ivy through Gotham City's sewers right below Babylon Towers. Ivy took the immunity and entered Babylon Towers; but instead of giving the serum to the babylonians she started an auction sale of the vial to the ten highest bidders.
Harvey Bullock gathered Bock and Montoya on James Gordon's house to ask him to lead them. Meanwhile outside Babylon, Nightwing and Robin did what they could to stop the maddenned crowd. One of the rioters spat Robin in the face; and just as they had their back against the wall, Huntress arrived to help them. The three of them could hold them a bit longer but sooner than later they were again back against the wall. Suddenly the crowd dispersed running away in fear; the reason was that they saw the menacing figure of Batman. With their only hope inside Babylon and in Gordon's actions; the bat-family waited and did everything they could for as long as they could.
- This is the sixth part of the Contagion storyline; as indicated in the cover.
- The events of this issue takes place between Catwoman #31 and Shadow of the Bat #49.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Contagion collected edition, as well as the 2016 edition, and in Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Volume 1.
- Writter Doug Moench wrote an essay on biowarfare as a real threat on the letter column. He clarified that the responsible for the Ebola Gulf-A virus was still unknown; but that writters were working on it. Therefore, Ra's al Ghul's involvement was not yet anticipated. These events unfolded later in the Legacy storyline.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 529 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 529
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
The events from this issue are related to the Contagion crossover that went through the Batman Family Titles in 1996, in which Gotham City had an epidemic of a mutant strand of the Ebola virus. The events of Contagion lead into Batman: Legacy, Batman: Cataclysm, and ultimately No Man's Land.