"Cult of the Mummy": Killeen continues exploiting the Incas to do as he tells them to and threatens their lives if they disobey. Bruce Wayne asks Alfred to arrange an alibi for the travel he had in mind. Wayne was ready and set to go
- There's no love lost between me and death. Death is the enemy--and I hate it.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Cult of the Mummy"
- Jackson Killeen
- Bruce Wayne's Private Plane
Synopsis for "Cult of the Mummy"
Killeen continues exploiting the Incas to do as he tells them to and threatens their lives if they disobey. Bruce Wayne asks Alfred to arrange an alibi for the travel he had in mind. Wayne was ready and set to go to Peru in search of the responsible of the Inca related crimes in Gotham City. While Alfred took Bruce to the private plane, Bruce discussed some "ghosts" theories with Alfred. When they arrived at the plane, Deadman was already inside waiting for them using the deceased body he possessed previously.
Killeen planned to kill all the Incas once they have surrendered all their relics. Batman and Deadman arrived in Peru but they landed in the middle of a forest. They followed a shrill sound that lead them to an old priest named Chimu. The old man was intrigued by the mysterious couple; a man dressed as a "demon" and a dead man. Batman told Chimu that they were looking for the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu but they needed a guide. Chimu offered to guide them and he took them both to the ruins. Once they reached the ruins, Batman checked the map on the dead man's back and knew where they needed to go. They bid farewell to Chimu and the old man gave Batman the bone flute he was using to create the shrilling sound. Chimu told Batman that he sound of the flute is only heard by the bats. In return Batman gave him one of his batarangs.
Batman and Deadman continued their way through the forest when they ran into some of the Inca's treasure looters. They engaged in combat but managed to knock out the looters. The rest of the gang was near and quickly went to see what happened. Batman and Deadman crossed a chasm and lost their pursuers. Batman knew they were near the hidden Inca city and Deadman was sure there was some entity waiting for them in that place.
- This is the second part of the three part story labeled as The Deadman Connection.
- The events of this issue takes place between Batman #530 and Batman #532.
- As the previous issue; this issue features a special edtition cover that glows in the dark.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Volume 1 and in Batman: Contagion.
- This issue makes reference to some scientific explanation to paranormal activity such as the Nonlocality and Quantum nonlocality theories.
- There is also a reference to the Eschatology; the study of the theories of the end fo life.
- This issue have a full page of dialogue with just two drawn figures in the edges of the page. The dialogue is a conversation between Batman and Chimu.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 531 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series