"Legacy, Part Five: A Wound on the Heart of Heaven": Batman is in Calcutta, waiting for Oracle to contact him and give him more information on the possible locations of the virus. Oracle contacts him and tells him
- I'm dressed this way... to save the world.
- — Batman
Appearing in "Legacy, Part Five: A Wound on the Heart of Heaven"
- Urchin (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Legacy, Part Five: A Wound on the Heart of Heaven"
Batman is in Calcutta, waiting for Oracle to contact him and give him more information on the possible locations of the virus. Oracle contacts him and tells him that the League of Assassins might be listening to their communications so she tells Batman to go to the Temple of Kali to meet someone that she arranged to assist him in the search of the virus.
Batman goes to the place but finds only an Urchin; a street kid. The kid is curious about Batman's appearance and Batman told the kid to stay away to protect him. Suddenly, Lady Shiva arrive at the place and tells Batman that Oracle contacted her and is there to help the him. The two of them are ambushed by the League of Assassins, but they are no match for the combined forces of Shiva and Batman.
Batman and Shiva start to roam the city and the urchin follows them closely. They arrive to a Hindu festival named Festival of Durga; where some big-sized wax statues of the goddess Durga are thrown into the river as a symbol of hope and courage. Shiva spots some suspicious activity near one of the statues so she and Batman decided to go. At the sight of Batman, two men run away but Batman reaches them in no time. Shiva and Batman engage in combat once more with members of the League of Assassins. One of them pulls out a gun and is ready to shoot Batman, but the urchin tackles the assassin. This one, enraged, shoots the kid instead. An angry Batman breaks the assassin's arm and forces him to tell where the virus is. The assassin tells Batman the truth before exploding gas into his mouth, killing himself.
The virus is in one of the goddess wax figures. Batman dives into the river to find the virus. A second before giving up, Batman sees the virus and takes it from the river, preventing it from mixing with the water that most of Calcutta uses. Once on the surface, Batman reaches Shiva and the urchin who didn't die from the shooting. Batman carries the child with renewed hope.
- This is the fifth part of the Batman: Legacy storyline.
- The events of this issue take place between Shadow of the Bat #54 and Detective Comics #701.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Legacy and the Batman: Legacy Vol. 2 (Collected).
- Lady Shiva mentions her last encounter with Batman. It happenned in Robin #8 during the KnightsEnd storyline.
- The kid in the story is called an urchin. This is another word for saying Street children.
- The Festival of Durga is a real life celebration and it's rarely celebrated in Calcutta.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|Batman: Legacy Crossover
The events from this issue are related to the Legacy crossover that went through the Batman Family Titles in 1996. The events of Legacy lead into Batman: Cataclysm, and ultimately No Man's Land.