Appearing in "Hush, (Part VIII of XII) - The Dead"
- Batman (Flashback and main story)
- Oracle (Behind the scenes)
- Thomas Elliot (Flashback only) (First appearance chronologically)
- Gotham County
- France (Flashback only)
- Japan (Flashback only)
- Nightwing's truncheon
Synopsis for "Hush, (Part VIII of XII) - The Dead"
Funeral services are held for Doctor Thomas Elliot. Attending are Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Selina Kyle, Alfred Pennyworth and Leslie Thompkins. Bruce Wayne speaks during the service and recites one of his favorite poems.
Later, Bruce is back in the Batcave, pouring over all of the evidence associated to Tommy's murder. He deduces that the Joker is actually innocent, and that someone went out of their way to make Batman believe him guilty. Nightwing drops by and shows concern over Bruce's wellbeing. He knows that Bruce has been seeing Selina, and encourages him to reveal his secret identity to her.
Before long, Oracle radios Batman and Nightwing, informing them that the Riddler has just hijacked an armored car. The two heroes set aside their investigation to quickly nab him. Racing through the streets of Gotham in the Batmobile, they use the vehicle's battering ram feature to force the armored car off the road. The Riddler tries to flee, but Batman easily nabs him. Investigating the scene for further evidence, Batman is surprised to find ash from a Lazarus Pit near the wreckage of the armored car.
Some time later, the mysterious man whose face is covered in bandages, approaches Joker's cell in Arkham. He tells Joker that he is his attorney and that he would work to see him out by the law. Joker wonders who is this man, and as he starts removing the bandages, the man reveals his true identity: Harvey Dent. His face has been completely healed of the gruesome scarring that earned him the sobriquet, Two-Face.
At the same time, Batman meets Catwoman at the Gotham City Zoo. Taking her into his confidence, he removes his cowl, revealing the face of Bruce Wayne and sharing his secret with her.
- This book was first published on May 28, 2003.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Hush Vol 2 trade paperback.
- This issue reveals that the man seen in bandages in issues #614 and #615 is actually Harvey Dent, not Hush.
- A Lazarus Pit is a device used by Ra's al Ghul to maintain his youth and vitality.
- During the meeting with Joker in Arkham, Harvey mentions that Joker once broke into his house and beat him in front of his wife. This happened in Batman: The Long Halloween #3.
- The poem Bruce reads in Thomas' funeral is titled O Captain! My Captain! by Walt Whitman. It was written in memory of the late president Abraham Lincoln.
- Some of Gotham's landmarks and streets are named after various creators. This includes Sheldon Moldoff, Jim Aparo, Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams; all of them worked in Batman at some point.
- The splash page in the bactave features many Batmobiles, drawn to resemble some of the most iconic designs of the car in other media. The most easy to recognize are the batmobile from Batman: The Animated Series, the one from the movie Batman Forever and the classic batmobile from the Batman 60s TV Series.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 615 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 615
Links and References
- Batman series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Batman series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Batman series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe