Appearing in "Hush, Part Nine: The Assassins"
- Gotham County
- Washington, D.C.
- North Africa
Synopsis for "Hush, Part Nine: The Assassins"
Batman rappels down from the Batplane and boards the company jetliner, Lexcorp-One. Once inside, he kidnaps Talia Head and takes her back to Gotham. He tells her that Ra's al Ghul will not tolerate a threat to his daughter. Talia points out two flaws with the problem: she and Ra's are not on speaking terms, and Batman would never hurt her.
Returning to Gotham, Batman leaves Talia in the care of Catwoman. The message is quickly received as Batman soon finds a scimitar sticking out from a computer terminal in the Batcave. Concerned, Batman hurries upstairs to check on Alfred. After seeing he's alright, Batman quickly deciphers the context of Ra's "message", but is confused to learn that he is being summoned to North Africa. Alfred theorizes that Ra's may be luring him away from Gotham, but Batman has no choice.
Later, Harvey Dent sneaks into the home of former police commissioner James Gordon. He tells Jim that Batman will need their help in resolving the current string of crimes. He also tells Gordon that the gun used to kill Tommy Elliot was Jim's old service pistol.
Batman arrives in Africa and meets with Ra's. The two engage in a sword fight, and Batman surprises Ra's by running him through. With Ra's incapacitated, Batman begins questioning him. Ra's is not responsible for the recent attacks on Batman. In fact, he wants Batman's opponent equally dead, for the person recently used and defiled one of the last Lazarus Pits.
Back in Gotham City, Lady Shiva breaks into Catwoman's penthouse by Ra's command to rescue Talia. She gets into a fight with Catwoman, and easily takes her out. To her surprise however, Talia turns the tables on her, smashing a chair across the back of Shiva's head.
Batman returns to find Catwoman has been healed by Talia. Talia says that Catwoman would have died if she had not returned, but decided to come back for Batman's sake. Talia kisses Batman and warns him that his mysterious opponent knows about his affection towards Catwoman and will use it against him. She asks Batman if Catwoman is worth the risk, and he silently answers yes.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Hush Vol 2 trade paperback.
- Batman and Alfred Pennyworth appear next in a special "Hush" interlude presented in Wizard #0. The interlude is likewise reprinted in Batman: Hush, Volume 2.
- Batman makes reference to Lucius Fox in this issue. Lucius is the CEO of Wayne Enterprises and runs the day to day operations of the company in Bruce's absence.
- Talia Head is the acting CEO of LexCorp while Lex Luthor is serving his term as President of the United States.
- Batman questions Ra's al Ghul about the Lazarus Pit. In issue #615, Batman found samples of ash from a Lazarus Pit in Gotham City after a scuffle involving the Riddler. This event foreshadows a major plot point, which becomes fully revealed at the conclusion of the "Hush" storyline.
- Catwoman was trained by the Armless Master. Lady Shiva killed her mentor back during KnightsEnd. This makes the fight scene between them a little bit more interesting from an emotional standpoint, although this piece of information does not actually come up during this issue.
- Batman tells the story about his first encounter with Ra's. This happened in Batman #232.
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 616 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 616
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)