"Hush, Part Ten: The Grave": Batman and Catwoman are in the Batcave going through all of the computer equipment. Batman realizes that there was a double meaning behind Ra's placement of a sword in the computers, and he
Appearing in "Hush, Part Ten: The Grave"
- Clayface (Johnny Williams) (First appearance) (apocrypha; see trivia)
Synopsis for "Hush, Part Ten: The Grave"
Batman and Catwoman are in the Batcave going through all of the computer equipment. Batman realizes that there was a double meaning behind Ra's placement of a sword in the computers, and he needs to determine what message Ra's was trying to send him.
Suddenly, Robin drops down from the ceiling and criticizes Batman for letting her in on his secret identity. Catwoman and Robin briefly clash, but Batman breaks it up. Frustrated, Catwoman borrows a Batcycle and speeds off into the night. Tim's behavior towards Catwoman was a staged act to determine whether Catwoman was worthy of Bruce's trust.
In the streets of Gotham, Catwoman encounters Huntress. The Huntress is acting very strangely and the two get into a brawl. It soon becomes apparent that the Huntress is under the thrall of the Scarecrow's Fear Toxin. Batman arrives on the scene and fights Scarecrow. Their fight takes them to a small private cemetery. Batman beats the Scarecrow up, and demands to know who has been manipulating so many of Gotham's criminal minds.
Suddenly, a Batarang flies from out of nowhere, nicking the Scarecrow's face. Batman wheels around and sees the man whose face is covered in bandages standing before him. He has captured Robin and currently holds his unconscious body by the scruff of the neck. He removes the bandages from his face revealing himself as Jason Todd – the second Robin who died years ago.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Hush Vol 2 trade paperback.
- Credits offer thanks to Mark Chiarello.
- Batman and Catwoman appeared last in a special "Hush" interlude presented in Wizard #0. The interlude is likewise reprinted in Batman: Hush, Volume 2.
- Although this issue posits the notion that Jason Todd is actually Hush, the true identity of Hush will be revealed in issue Batman #618.
- Originally, Jason Todd's presence in this issue was intended to be Clayface (Johnny Williams). Information revealed in Batman Annual #25 reveals that Jason truly is back from the dead, and present during this event. For a brief period of time, Jason operated as the second Robin, until the Joker savagely beat him to death with a crowbar.
- The story about Tim Drake becoming Robin is a reference to the storyline Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying.
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 617 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 617