"Batman & Son, Part 3: Wonderboys": Batman shows Damian the Batcave, and explains that it will be his new home. Batman offers to train Damian in the fight against crime, but Damian laughs and spurns him. Damian is ru
- Don't patronize me or I'll break your face.
Appearing in "Batman & Son, Part 3: Wonderboys"
- The Spook (Dies)
Synopsis for "Batman & Son, Part 3: Wonderboys"
Batman shows Damian the Batcave, and explains that it will be his new home. Batman offers to train Damian in the fight against crime, but Damian laughs and spurns him. Damian is rude and impertinent, eventually trying to physically fight his father. He explains that his mother Talia never had time for him, and he was mostly raised by the League of Assassins. Robin returns and tries to shake Damian's hand, but Damian refuses and threatens him. Alfred takes Damian to unpack, and Damian simply swears at him. Tim doubts Bruce's paternity and worries about his own adoption, but Bruce explains this changes nothing between them. Robin insists that Damian should have to earn Batman's respect like everyone else. He warns Batman that The Spook is back, and he's holding the Mayor hostage in Blackgate Prison, then leaves. Damian throws a temper tantrum, angry that he is forced to stay in Wayne Manor. Batman loses his temper and shouts at Damian, leading him to finally show respect.
Batman goes to help Commissioner Gordon with the Spook. The Spook is angry that his former lair is being torn down, and has taken the Mayor hostage to save his legacy. One of Gordon's undercover cops is discovered, and another henchman tries to kill him. Batman rescues the cop, and they find the Mayor safe. However, when they discover the Spook, he's dead and his body is missing its head.
Robin finds Damian sneaking into the Batcave, and offers to spar with him since they got off on the wrong foot. Damian presents the Spook's head, with a grenade in its mouth. Robin angrily explains that they don't kill, and Damian retorts that in the League they killed whoever got in their way. He declares Robin redundant, and tries to kill him. Damian throws the Spook's head and it explodes, then attacks with a sword. Robin saves Damian from falling to his death, then tries to talk to him. Damian insists Robin doesn't deserve any of this, and hits him off a ledge.
Batman swings across the Gotham skyline, and Damian confronts him wearing a Robin costume. He declares himself Batman's new partner and explains they must work together to stop his mother. Bruce asks what happened to Tim, and Damian lies that he quit. It's shown that Tim is still lying in a pile of bloody glass in the Batcave.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman and Son collected edition and Robin, the Boy Wonder: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- This issue is part of the Morrison's Batman saga.
- Tim asks Bruce about their relationship with Damian in the picture, and Bruce insists this doesn't change anything. They're talking about Bruce's recent adoption of Tim during Face the Face.
- The Spook tries to save his original lair, a reference to one of his earliest stories. Robin mentions that the Spook has "turned up" again. In his previous appearance, he was sent to Arkham Asylum.
- This issue reintroduces Thomas Wayne's Batman Costume into the DC Universe. It was originally presented in a story where Thomas Wayne fights Lew Moxon. This becomes important later during Batman R.I.P. as Doctor Hurt wears it when he infiltrates the Batcave.
- The title "Wonderboys" is a reference to Robin's nickname as "The Boy Wonder."
- Damian never sees Bruce out of costume, as his paternity has not been verified yet.
- Damian asks how the Batcave deals with methane as a byproduct of bat excrement. Batman explains that the bats have their own preserve.
- Batman owns an Xbox, and it's shown set up in Wayne Manor.
- This issue includes an homage to The Dark Knight Returns. When Batman takes down one of the Spook's henchmen, his kick mimics an iconic panel drawn by Frank Miller.
- Damian demonstrates the ability to perfectly mimic voices, even fooling the Batcomputer software.
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 657 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 657
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)