"The Butler Did It": Alfred Pennyworth reviews Batman's career. First, that fateful night where the bat entered the study as Bruce Wayne thought in the darkness. The incident inspired Bruce to become Batman, though Alfred thinks of so
- Whoever you are. Whatever this is. I'm coming to get you.
- -- Bruce Wayne
Appearing in "The Butler Did It"
- Alfred Pennyworth (Hallucination)
- Batwoman (Kathy Webb Kane) (Hallucination)
- Commissioner James Gordon (Hallucination)
- Julie Madison (Hallucination)
- Robin/Nightwing (Hallucination)
- Batman Villains (Hallucination)
- Evil Factory
- Ace the Bat-Hound (Hallucination)
- Batman Clone (First appearance)
- Flying Graysons (Dies) (Hallucination)
- Gotham City Police Department (Hallucination)
- Martha Wayne (Hallucination)
- Thomas Wayne (Hallucination)
- Gotham City (Hallucination)
- Batcomputer (Hallucination)
- Bat-Radia (Hallucination)
- Batrope (Hallucination)
- Bat-Signal (Hallucination)
- Thomas Wayne's Batman Costume (Hallucination)
- Utility Belt (Hallucination)
- Batgyro (Hallucination)
- Batmobile (Hallucination)
- Jokercopter (Hallucination)
- Whirly-Bat (Hallucination)
Synopsis for "The Butler Did It"
Alfred Pennyworth reviews Batman's career. First, that fateful night where the bat entered the study as Bruce Wayne thought in the darkness. The incident inspired Bruce to become Batman, though Alfred thinks of some other things that he could have been. However, his work as Batman took its toll on Bruce Wayne's social life, and Julie Madison, a young woman he had been dating, left for Los Angeles.
Alfred finally managed to convince Bruce to take a break and enjoy a visit to Haly's Circus that fateful night when the Flying Graysons were killed and Dick Grayson was orphaned. Bruce took Dick as his legal ward and began molding him into Robin. They fought many villains in their time, chief among them the Joker, but they also made an ally in the original Batwoman. Her death hurt Batman, but he grieved and moved on. He later took part in an experiment for the army, where Doctor Simon Hurt first had access to Batman's mind. Time goes on, and eventually, Dick transitions to Nightwing and leaves. Bruce and Alfred discuss how much has changed in the years, and Bruce finally reveals that he knows that this person is impersonating Alfred. Suddenly, Bruce's mind changes to a world where his parents didn't die, and he is a doctor alongside his father.
These events are part of a plan by the New Gods of Apokolips to build an army based on Batman. The being impersonating Alfred is the Lump, a telepathic invader who is processing Batman's memories and experiences to simulate his drive, his dedication, and his unrelenting will to succeed. Once the Lump has processed all the memories, Simyan and Mokkari will kill Batman and use him as fodder to build the army. That will be Batman's legacy--an army of Batmen to die for Darkseid.
- This book was first published on November 3, 2008.
- This issue is a "Batman R.I.P." crossover and a "Final Crisis" crossover.
- The events from this issue take place after Final Crisis #2.
- In one of the flashbacks, "Alfred" mentions some alternate names for Bruce to have adopted, including Owlman and Catman.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 682 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 682
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
Batman R.I.P. Crossover
|Final Crisis Crossover |