"Two-Face Strikes Again!": Harvey Dent tries to prevent a robbery, but he is caught in an explosion and his face is once again scarred on one side. The devastation after the explosion causes him to turn back into his old Two-Face persona. He embarks on a new crime spr
Appearing in "Two-Face Strikes Again!"
- Two-Face (First appearance)
- Charles Ford (Single appearance)
- John Fields Benson (Single appearance)
- Tarando the Clown (Single appearance)
- Chicago "Al" Garver (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Two-Face Strikes Again!"
Harvey Dent tries to prevent a robbery, but he is caught in an explosion and his face is once again scarred on one side. The devastation after the explosion causes him to turn back into his old Two-Face persona. He embarks on a new crime spree, and Batman deduces that Two-Face is going after people who are known for having "two faces". Later, Bruce Wayne attends a ceremony in which he is named an honorary chief of a local tribe, but shortly after this, Batman and Robin are trapped by Two-Face and strapped to a giant coin. Two-Face flips the coin over a bed of spikes, and though the gimmick is rigged to land face down, the dynamic duo manage to create a magnetic field using their Utility Belts and flip the coin so that they land safely. Once free from the deadly trap, Batman and Robin proceed to capture Two-Face and his gang.
Appearing in "The Boy Wonder Confesses!"
- Mister Camera (Single appearance)
- Steve (Single appearance)
- Marcia (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Boy Wonder Confesses!"
When Dick Grayson is late to school one morning, he is asked by his teacher why and he tells them that he was out catching a crook as Robin the Boy Wonder and to prove it, he performs all sorts of acrobatic acts in front of the entire class. The news reaches the press, who immediately make a connection between Grayson and Bruce Wayne as Batman and Robin. However, it is later revealed that everything is part of a plan between Bruce and Dick in order to clarify the fact that they aren't the dynamic duo. They were forced to take this measures after learning that a criminal known as Mister Camera, who has footage of them in their secret identities, is being released from prison and will carry out a threat to unmask them. The plan succeeds and once again, all suspicions are removed from them and later they learn that the footage never revealed their identities.
Appearing in "The Phantom Bandit of Gotham City!"
- Phantom Bandit (Single appearance)
- Mr. Melver (Single appearance)
- Thomas Melzer (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Phantom Bandit of Gotham City!"
There is a new criminal in Gotham City operating under the name of the Phantom Bandit. His crimes are impressive because he can apparently break into any vault or safe, without triggering any alarms or using lockpick equipment. Batman and Robin start investigating the case and they find an unsuspected ally in Vicki Vale, who comes up with a plan to discover the identity of the criminal. Vicki's plan is almost successful, but when she and Robin are knocked unconscious by the criminal, Batman has to intervene and put an end to his crime spree. It is then revealed that the Phantom Bandit was simply a con artist, who managed to duplicate the keys to the safes and vaults, allowing him to break inside and commit crimes unnoticed.
- "Two-Face Strikes Again!" is reprinted in Batman: From the 30's to the 70's, The Greatest 1950s Stories Ever Told, Batman in the Fifties, Batman vs. Two-Face and Two-Face: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- Because the history of the Two-Face of Earth-Two (Harvey Kent) given in Superman Family #211 makes it clear that he was never re-injured after his face was healed in Detective Comics #80, then "Two-Face Strikes Again!" must be an early Earth-One story featuring the Eath-One versions of Two-Face (Harvey Dent), Batman, etc.
- The giant coin scheme from the first story is reimagined and used years later on the episode Almost Got 'Im from Batman: The Animated Series.
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 81 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 81