"Bad Blood": Watching his young son Damian train in the Batcave, Batman worries about the indoctrination that Damian's mother Talia al Ghul must have used to turn him into a veritable killing machine. Bru
Appearing in "Bad Blood"
- Great Dane (First appearance)
- Talia al Ghul (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- Nightwing (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Bad Blood"
Watching his young son Damian train in the Batcave, Batman worries about the indoctrination that Damian's mother Talia al Ghul must have used to turn him into a veritable killing machine. Bruce hopes that despite this, he can shape Damian into a good man. Alfred Pennyworth assures Bruce that as Batman, he has been all of his proteges' moral compass, and that Batman will always need a Robin, just as Robin will always need a Batman. Just so, Bruce wonders what would befall Damian if he weren't around.
That night, Batman and Robin intercept a weapons shipment in Gotham City. Batman is proud that Damian showed restraint in beating the criminals involved, though Robin feels they deserved worse. As they drive off, the criminals they left hanging by a streetlamp are suddenly murdered by NoBody.
Back in the Batcave, Bruce hopes that this being the fourth foiled weapons shipment in eight weeks, the runners will bypass Gotham. Alfred, however, is more concerned by Damian's apparent excess energy, even at this late hour. Bruce suggests that the extra training will help the boy vent some of his more violent impulses rather than exerting them on real people during field work. Alfred is unimpressed by Bruce's admission that he called Damian's restraint 'commendable' rather than stating plainly that he was proud. Awkwardly, Bruce approaches his son, and tells him that he did nice work. As Bruce heads up to the mansion, Damian plucks a bat out of the air, and crushes it to death. Unseen, Alfred watches, worriedly.
The next day, Bruce decides to adopt a Great Dane dog. As he and the dog get acquainted, they are interrupted by the appearance of a man named Morgan. Bruce identifies him as the man who murdered the gun runners last night. Morgan is clearly disgusted with Bruce's activities as Batman, particularly the franchising of his vigilante identity through Batman Incorporated.
Morgan believes that Bruce has distorted the clarity of their mission - a mission which Bruce does not believe that they share. Morgan works for Henri DuCard, who he claims would be disappointed to see Bruce's mission of vigilante vengeance. He explains that his visit isn't an attack, but an intervention. He plans to save him from himself.
Morgan activates an explosive device which unexpectedly causes a nearby barrel to explode with candy. Bruce calms his new pet, wondering what Morgan's appearance portends.
- The Great Dane that Bruce adopts is of the same breed as Ace, from Batman Beyond, though it has not yet been named.
- The dog is referred to as "Le Grand Danois", which is a literal translation into French of "The Great Dane". However, the species of dog is known as Dogue allemand in French.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Batman and Robin Vol 2 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman and Robin series
- Images from Batman and Robin Vol 2 2
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)