"In the Chill of the Night": After being exposed to a poison while in Japan, Batman is taken to the Gotham General Hospital where it's suggested that if he could be kept active, Batman might be able to fight off the effects of the poison. Taking Batman to [[Wa
- I want to tell you that I'm proud of you. Sometimes I realize my war on crime is unwinnable... but at times like this, I honestly believe we can do it -- that we'll see a day when there's an end to crime, to suffering, to injustice... and on that day, none of us will need masks anymore... on that day, none of us will be Outsiders...!
- — Batman
Synopsis for "In the Chill of the Night"
After being exposed to a poison while in Japan, Batman is taken to the Gotham General Hospital where it's suggested that if he could be kept active, Batman might be able to fight off the effects of the poison. Taking Batman to Wayne Manor, the Outsiders learn that Batman is Bruce Wayne. In order to keep Batman active, Alfred suggests that they take him to Crime Alley and reenact the murder of the Waynes. Like this, Batman is forced to relive his nightmare and he starts chasing the crook who gunned down his parents when he was a boy, taking him across the city chasing the phantom crook.
Word of Batman's condition gets to crime boss Morgan Jones, who sends his enforcer Mayme and his army of crooks to take Batman down while he's half out of his mind. While Mayme's group takes down the Outsiders, Batman snaps out of his hallucination as he sees Mayme about to shoot Katana (thinking it's his mother) and frees the Outsiders. The group then all works together to defeat Mayme and his gang, turning them over to the police.
Later, Batman (having not been made aware that the group already knows his identity) reveals his true identity to them, feeling that the group has proven themselves enough to know who he really is.
Appearing in "In the Chill of the Night"
- Dr. Carter (physician)
- Joe Chill (In a vision)
- Luther (goon)
- Martha Wayne (In a vision)
- Rufus (goon)
- Scrounge (Single appearance)
- This issue is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Batman and the Outsiders.
- Batman and the Outsiders appear next in Batman and the Outsiders Annual #1.
- Outsiders Recommended Reading