- Perhaps, Master, aided by the powers of the East -- I can stop them!
- — Batu src
Batu was the manservant of the famous secret agent Black X.
In the 1930s, Black X was always impeccably attired, thanks to his impeccably efficient manservant Batu, but there was more to his small, quiet, Hindu assistant than met the eye. As a master of the occult sciences, Batu had trained himself to be an extremely powerful telepath, capable of both reading the minds of others and projecting thoughts and images into other people's minds. For example, he could project a ghostly image of himself, thus appearing to be in two places at once, a skill that was handy in close combat situations. He had many practical skills as well, as an expert aircraft pilot, and land vehicle driver, but most notably as a knife-throwing killer. He rescued Black X from several tight spots, and in turn was himself rescued more than once, during their long careers in the U.S. Espionage Service.
The enigmatic valet called little attention to himself, and indeed very little is known about his early years or personal life. Born and raised in India, he presumably at some point become a naturalized U.S. citizen, based on his participation in top-level U.S. espionage work. But this is not known for certain. He lived at both of Black X's expensive homes, in Washington and New York.
Powers and Abilities
- Throwing Knife
- This version of Batu, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Comic book stories from the 1930s and 1940s may depict some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society. Such depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While not representing the DC Comics view of today's society, these stories are being indexed and summarized as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.
- 85 Appearances of Batu (Quality Universe)
- 2 Images featuring Batu (Quality Universe)
- 4 Quotations by or about Batu (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Batu (Quality Universe)