- Reaper is my name. And you will not reprimand me or you'll find yourselves looking up at me in small pieces.
- — Benjamin Gruener src
Benjamin Gruener was a professional doctor and a German Jew, who survived the Holocaust. Unfortunately, the trauma of having endured through a Nazi concentration camp and having witnessed his family being killed by Nazi soldiers, lead him to adopt the costumed identity of the killer known as "The Reaper". Using large robes, a skull mask and a large scythe, Gruener resembled the mythical figure of the Grim Reaper in order to get revenge over the Nazi criminals that remained. As The Reaper, Gruener became a ruthless killer and when he realized that he had become the same as the criminals he hated, he stumbled to his apparent death from the top of a dam in Vermont during the Rutland Halloween Parade.
- Gruener uses as a two-handed scythe in his costumed identity
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 11 Appearances of Benjamin Gruener (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Benjamin Gruener (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Benjamin Gruener (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Benjamin Gruener (New Earth)