Doctor Benjamin Love was a scientist who experimented with genetic manipulation in unborn children.
Some years ago, he used eight pregnant women as unwitting guinea pigs, injecting them with drugs which altered their unborn children in the womb. Two of the mothers gave birth in Mexico, and escaped Love's influence, but while Maria Montez gave birth to a healthy child who would grow up to become the heroine Wildcat, the other woman's child was born a monster; she tried to drown both the child and herself in the sea, but the mutated baby survived and grew up to become the man-shark Carcharo. The other six children were born in the US and were stolen away by Doctor Love to a remote location where he raised them in isolation. These six, Mr Bones, Tao Jones, Penny Dreadful, Arak Wind-Walker, Kritter and Baby Boom grew up to become Helix. When the children reached adulthood, they learned the truth about Love's manipulation of their lives and voted to kill him, but Mr Bones-who had been elected to do the deed-found he could not bring himself to. He took Love into the desert intending to execute him but ended up letting him go, lying to his 'family' and showing them what he claimed was Love's grave. Years later, Love returned and revealed himself to Mr Bones, and still later, when Helix were incarcerated following their encounters with Infinity, Inc., Love infiltrated the secure psychiatric hospital where they had been sent for treatment under the alias "Dr Raymond Lamour" and gained mental dominance over them again. When Mr Bones (who had been famed for murder) came to the hospital looking for his family, with Infinity, Inc. in pursuit, Love commanded Helix to attack them all, but when he ordered them to kill Mr Bones, they rebelled and turned their powers on Love instead, reducing him to a charred corpse.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- In his final appearance, Love refers to himself as Amos Love, though his name was previously established as being Benjamin Love.
- Dr. Love is similar in many respects (including physically) to the geneticist Dr. Lovecraft, the creator of the Ani-Men. Whether there is any connection between the two is unknown. 
- 7 Appearances of Benjamin Love (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Benjamin Love (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Benjamin Love (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Benjamin Love (New Earth)
Copy Edit Needed