At a time when very few women worked in the legal profession, Betty Bates was one of the toughest attorneys in one of the world's toughest towns, New York City.
In the early 1940s in New York City, Betty Bates was a criminal defense attorney. Her methods were sometimes unconventional.
- concealed handgun
- This version of Betty Bates, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Per the 3rd panel of the 1st page of her first story, in Hit Comics #4, Betty's full name is "Elizabeth Bates." It's painted on her office door.
- Even for the 1940s, and New York City, Miss Bates' methods were of very dubious legality. In an early case she once said, in open court, "It was I who went though your desk last night! I found that you needed money badly, and that Peggy's wealthy estate was left to you, her only relative. You knew Barth's voice was similar to Fred's so you had him call her!" This revelation led directly to a deadly shoot-out in the courtroom, with Miss Bates killing the armed defendant.
- Betty Bates ran from Hit Comics #4 thru Hit Comics #65.
- 62 Appearances of Betty Bates (Quality Universe)
- 1 Images featuring Betty Bates (Quality Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about Betty Bates (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Betty Bates (Quality Universe)