The Black Flash fulfills the role of Death for those who possess super-speed, returning them to the source of their powers: the Speed Force. It was reportedly seen before the deaths of Barry Allen and Johnny Quick; Max Mercury, having had several near-death experiences, also saw the Black Flash.
It is not clear whether the Black Flash exists because the speedsters are simply too fast for traditional Death to capture, or as some sort of bizarre side-effect to their connection to the Speed Force.
It came for Wally West to draw him back to the Speed Force, but instead took Linda Park, Wally's girlfriend, into the Speed Force. It later returned to try and take Wally again, freezing time except for those who possessed a connection to the Speed Force. Max Mercury, Jay Garrick, and Jesse Quick all attempted to assist Wally by distracting the Black Flash; Wally finally defeated the Black Flash by racing it to the end of time, to a point where Death would have no meaning, causing it to dissipate.
- Speed Force Entity: As the aspect of death for speedsters, the Black Flash draws power from the extra-dimensional energy-field called the Speed Force.
- Superhuman Speed: The Black Flash can move at vast superhuman speeds, easily keeping up with Wally West, and surpassing the speed of light.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Fatal Touch: The Black Flash can kill a person with only one touch.
- Intangibility: By vibrating his body at a specific frequency, Black Flash can become intangible, allowing object to pass directly through him.
- Chronokinesis: The Black Flash possesses the ability to stop time at will, as well as use his speed to travel throughout time.
- Dimensional Travel: The Black Flash can easily travel to and from the Speed Force at will.
- Immortality: As an aspect of death, the Black Flash cannot die by any ordinary means.
- It should not be confused with the other personifications of death in the DCU: The Black Racer and Death of the Endless. Although an issue of Captain Atom purports Death of the Endless, the Black Racer, and Nekron to all be aspects of the same idea, Neil Gaiman (creator of Death of the Endless) refutes this idea, stating that his creation is the ultimate personification of Death. As such, any connection between the Black Flash and Death of the Endless is tenuous, at best.
- 13 Appearances of Black Flash (New Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Black Flash (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Black Flash (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Black Flash (New Earth)
- Black Flash at dccomics.com
- Black Flash at Wikipedia.org
- Black Flash at Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning