Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
It also functions as the "grim-reaper" of Speed Force conduits, appearing before speedsters when it is time for them to become one with the Speed Force.
The Black Flash was summoned by the Speed Force to exterminate the conduits of the newly reborn Sage, Still and Strength Force as the rebirth of these three forces was slowly killing the Speed Force. Black Flash quickly tracked the Still Force user Steadfast to the Flash Museum in Central City. However due to the intervention of the Flash, Steadfast was able to escape with his life.
The Black Flash later re-emerged when he located Psych, the Sage Force conduit, in Scotland. Unlike the last time, the Black Flash was fast enough to reach Psych and kill him before the Flash was able to intervene. Upon the death of Psych, the connection between the Speed and Sage Forces was severed, partially restoring the Speed Force's health in the process.
Powers and Abilities
- Speed Force Entity: As the aspect of death for speedsters, the Black Flash draws power from the extra-dimensional energy-field called the Speed Force, and as such has many of the powers commonly attributed to Speed Force Conduits.
- Death Inducement: As the manifestation of death, the Black Flash can absorb the life force of living creatures, including force conduits, until they are dead. It needs to be making physical contact to absorb life energy. If he kills an opposing forces's conduit, then he can essentially uncouple that force from its conduit and the Speed Force.
- Dimensional Travel: As the defensive manifestation of the Speed Force, the Black Flash can enter and exit the Speed Force dimension whenever it wishes. He can presumably also do this with any other force dimension, as he was able to enter the Forever Force at will.
- Electrokinesis: The Black Flash generates red Speed Force lightning, especially when moving at super speed.
- Force Detection: The Black Flash has a sixth sense which allows it to know the exact location of the opposing forces' conduits, but only as long as the conduits are tapping into their respective force in someway.
- Flight: The Black Flash is capable of propelling himself into flight at will.
- Immortality: The Black Flash isn't technically a living being and therefore it doesn't age, it will exist until the Speed Force dies.
- Superhuman Agility: Black Flash's balance and bodily coordination are far superior to a finest human athlete. He is able to make sharp turns while moving at superhuman speed, without losing balance.
- Superhuman Durability: Black Flash is capable of withstanding high levels of physical harm, and suffer no injury.
- Superhuman Speed: The Black Flash can move at vast superhuman speeds, surpassing even Barry Allen. The Flash has described it as faster than anything he has ever encountered.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Because of his immense speed, Black Flash's reflexes are heightened to superhuman levels, allowing him to react to danger instantly.
- Superhuman Stamina: Black Flash possesses superhuman stamina, which allows him to handle the of running at superhuman speed, without getting tired or weak.
- Superhuman Strength: The Black Flash possesses significant superhuman strength.
- Time Stopping: The Black Flash is able to stop the flow of time at will.
- Vortex Creation: By rotating its arms at super-human speeds, the Black Flash can create strong vortexes of wind capable of throwing people around.
- Black Flash was created by Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, and Ron Wagner, first appearing in The Flash (Volume 2) #138. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Black Flash first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Flash (Volume 5) #76 by Joshua Williamson and Rafa Sandoval.
- 6 Appearances of Black Flash (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Black Flash (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Black Flash (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Black Flash (Prime Earth)