Blackbriar Thorn was a Celtic druid who fought the Justice Society of America.
Blackbriar Thorn was a leader of the ancient Druids in the British Isles. As such, he had great powers and responsibilities. However, the Druids were killed by Roman forces. In an attempt to circumvent the conquerors, Blackbriar Thorn transformed into solid wood with the hopes of mingling with the trees and the surrounding forests. His ruse worked but a group of Druids, in a final effort to defend themselves, created a terrible land magic so that Thorn was swallowed into the earth. Centuries later, the body of Blackbriar Thorn was discovered by an archaeologist. His body was put on display at The Gotham City Museum of History. Waking up in a new land with his old powers intact, Thorn left Gotham City in panic. Fortunately, Superman and Etrigan were in place to stop him and for a long period he remained in obscurity.
More recently, Thorn resurfaced as a member of the newest incarnation of the Injustice Society. They were defeated by the Justice Society of America. Thorn was the only one to escape. Blackbriar Thorn has directed his anger at the original Green Lantern. Armed with knowledge of his weakness to wood, Thorn wanted to be the killer of the original Green Lantern.
Powers and Abilities
- Wooden body
- Size Alteration
- Weather Manipulation
- Illusion Casting
- Possession: Thorn could transfer his essence to other bodies with a mere touch.
- Power Loss: He must maintain contact with the earth or he will lose his powers.
- Vulnerability to Fire: The pieces of Blackbriar's body that are burned are unable to be regenerated.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 22 Appearances of Blackbriar Thorn (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Blackbriar Thorn (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Blackbriar Thorn (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Blackbriar Thorn (New Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.