"The Vengeful Bowman": The Bowman uses a large aircraft shaped like a bow and arrow, equipped with an array of large trick arrows: smokescreens, suction-tips, barrage-balloon cables, time bombs, nets, buzz-saws, shrapnel, lightning, blow-torch, and a steel-cable lasso arrow. He uses these weapon
- 1 Synopsis for "The Vengeful Bowman"
- 2 Appearing in "The Vengeful Bowman"
- 3 Synopsis for "The Blackhawk Gladiators"
- 4 Appearing in "The Blackhawk Gladiators"
- 5 Synopsis for "Killer Shark's Secret Lair"
- 6 Appearing in "Killer Shark's Secret Lair"
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See Also
- 10 Recommended Reading
- 11 Links and References
Synopsis for "The Vengeful Bowman"
The Bowman uses a large aircraft shaped like a bow and arrow, equipped with an array of large trick arrows: smokescreens, suction-tips, barrage-balloon cables, time bombs, nets, buzz-saws, shrapnel, lightning, blow-torch, and a steel-cable lasso arrow. He uses these weapons to steal an experimental U.S. military rocket, and an "M-bomb." The Blackhawks track him down and bring him in.
Appearing in "The Vengeful Bowman"
- U.S. Army air crews and ground crews
- U.S. Army Rocket Base
- Blackhawk Mainland Barracks
- experimental Army rocket
- new M-bomb
Synopsis for "The Blackhawk Gladiators"
Legatus, a master criminal who fancies himself a descendent of Nero, traps the Blackhawks and runs them through an elaborate series of death traps. Most of his henchmen wear iron armor. A less eccentric gangster enemy, Divico and his gang, has also trailed the Blackhawks to this "Empire of Legatus," and to get access to the Blackhawks, they disguise themselves in iron armor. A three-way melee gets going in the arena, which, as an ancient Roman style arena, is rigged to be flooded, for use as a shark tank. So Blackhawk floods the arena and the crooks, in their gladiator armor, are made helpless. All of them are arrested.
Appearing in "The Blackhawk Gladiators"
- Divico Gang
- his soldiers, servants, and gladiators
- Rome Police
- Pietro Folmi (mentioned, dead)
- Rome Area
- Police HQ
- Village of Larsca
- Villa D'Argonza
- isolated area far from the city
- Empire of Legatus
- Legatus' Arena / racetrack / roller coaster / artificial lake
- Empire of Legatus
- Folmi Formula, precious new medicine
- Retarius' electrified trident
- Blackhawk Lockheed F-90Cs
Synopsis for "Killer Shark's Secret Lair"
Killer Shark uses large stuffed fish to smuggle his henchmen into mansions and museums to commit burglaries. The Blackhawks investigate, then set an ambush, in a museum, for Killer Shark and his gang. They clash, and most or all of the gang are caught, but Killer Shark escapes. The Blackhawks track him down to his secret lair, but it's another ambush, Killer Shark counterattacks with a Sawfish Sub, which slices the Hawksub in two. Blackhawk attaches his belt radio to the Sawfish Sub, and soon the team tracks it down in their jets. They depth bomb the Sawfish sub, which surfaces, then they parachute onto it, board it, and capture Killer Shark and his crew alive.
Appearing in "Killer Shark's Secret Lair"
- Museum Curator
- Mr & Mrs Kenton Knowles
- Police Chief Burke, Cannon City PD, old friend of the Squadron
- Cannon City cops
- Cannon City, seaport / resort
- Vengeful Bowman
- This villain, Roger Hart, calls himself "the Bowman," flies a crossbow-shaped jet fighter. An earlier villain, John Hunter, calling himself "the Shaft," flew a crossbow-shaped jet fighter, in Blackhawk #121. No mention of that villain, his M.O., or his equipment is made in this story.
- Olaf's Lockheed interceptor is sliced in two, in mid-air, by a buzz-saw-tipped antiaircraft arrow. Andre's plane is shot down with a lightning arrow. Chop Chop, Chuck, Hendrickson, and Stan are shot down with an arrow-firing "shrapnel" arrow. Blackhawk is shot down with a blowtorch arrow.
- On this mission, the Blackhawks brought along an extra set of jets, on remote control, just in case.
- Secret Lair
- The Blackhawks start out on a goodwill tour, aboard their Hawksub.
- The squadron's old friend, Chief Burke of the Cannon City P.D., is introduced.
- This is the Earth-One Killer Shark's third appearance. Previously he and his henchmen were swept away, down a tunnel, when his Undersea Gold Fort got flooded, back in Blackhawk #123.
- The Hawksub is sliced in two by Killer Shark's Sawfish sub, but the Blackhawks escape.
- Also appearing in this issue of Blackhawk was:
- "Strange Mission to Algiers" (1-page text story) about a pilot in WW II who is flying ice cream to wounded soldiers in Algiers. He uses the dry ice from the ice cream freezers to dissipate cloud cover so they can land.
Links and References