A Boom Tube is a slang expression for an extra dimensional point-to-point travel portal opened by a Mother Box used primarily by the New Gods of New Genesis and Apokolips. The moniker derives from the loud "BOOM" that erupts when a tube is created.
Orion once said that a boom tube "stems from the waves of the mind" but they allow people to travel interstellar distances almost instantaneously by creating a wormhole through space. The tubes need to be generated or opened by another device, commonly a Mother Box. Boom tubes are powered by the mysterious element X, which serves as a matter threshold.
- The initial Kirby comics depict boom tubes as a sort of quasi-technological equivalent of Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge linking Asgard and Earth; indeed, boom tubes are described as a "bridge to Earth." Subsequent writers have allowed the tubes to be used for point-to-point transport between various locations on New Genesis, Apokolips, Earth and other planets, thereby making them near-ubiquitous for the travel of the New Gods. Boom tubes replaced other mostly undefined concepts like the Electron Road, the Matter Threshold and the Star Gate, all of which have been used by the New Gods for travel from either New Genesis or Apokolips.
- Later canon is unclear on whether it is even possible to travel from the regular universe to that of the New Gods without a boom tube or similar device. Justice League International #19 shows the JLI reaching Apokolips using a normal spacecraft, but Cosmic Odyssey explicitly states that one cannot reach Apokolips or New Genesis without a tube.
- Later writers introduced the idea that the New Gods were, in fact, giants, and the technology used in a Boom-Tube automatically compensates for a traveler's size and mass when teleporting them from one universe to another, re-sizing them to fit. The precise size ratio has varied, with New Gods in their "original" size being depicted as anywhere from tens of feet tall,, to thousands, to larger than our planet or even our universe. It has been noted that alternate methods of travel affect one's size by different amounts, which may explain the discrepency.
- In Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle (Volume 1), it was revealed that the technology is properly named "boom lanes" by the New Gods. However, the noise disorients the character, so he later calls it "'boom tube', or something."
- In Justice League of America (Volume 2) #1, Dr. Impossible uses a Fatherbox to summon "hush tubes". In Earth 2: World's End #11, Mister Terrific has developed weaponized "boom spheres" which teleport away portions of the target on contact.
Links and References
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Boom tube. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|
Copy Edit Needed