- You're finished, Robin! If Kid Flash and Aqualad couldn't stop my fire-storm with their super-powers, what chance do you have?
- — Mr.Twister src
Bromwell Stikk was born in the small town of Hatton Corners. Stikk's family tree extended all of the way back to the Colonial era when his ancestor Jacob Stikk leased the town to the colonists for the price of a feather from a passenger pigeon. Each year, the town elders were required to procure a feather and give it to the Stikk family as payment; if they were unable to do so, they were to forfeit one of the town's stalwart youths to labor in the Stikk family's service for that year. When Jakob Stikk passed away, this unusual "rent" died with him.
In the modern era, Brom Stikk – the last descendant of Jakob Stikk – became an outcast to society and left the town to live in exile on nearby Goat Island. On the island, he discovered a Native American cave as well as an old Shaman's medicine staff. By bathing the staff in a special brew, Brom learned that he could now control the very forces of nature. Calling himself Mister Twister, Brom returned to Hatton Corners to get revenge against a community that spurned him. His first stop was to the office of Mayor Corliss, whereupon Brom demanded that the town should compensate his family for failure to pay the agreed-upon annual pigeon feather established two hundred years earlier. As passenger pigeons had been extinct since 1913, Mayor Corliss was unable to satisfy Mister Twister's outrageous demands. As punishment, Mister Twister used his staff's powers to create a massive storm that whisked away all of the town's teenage populace. Enslaving the youth of Hatton Corners, he brought them back to Goat Island where he forced them to erect a twister-shaped stone tower in his honor. Shortly thereafter, teenage super-heroes Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin arrived in Hatton Corners and learned about the incident. They agreed to help the townspeople retrieve their children and they tracked them back to Goat Island. While Kid Flash completed Twister's stone tower so that the teens would not have to, Aqualad summoned a giant whale and used him to physically move the island from its original location. When Twister returned, he discovered that the island was missing. He went back to Hatton Corners to wreak havoc, and succeeded in subduing Aqualad and Kid Flash. Robin however, managed to ensnare Twister's power staff with his batrope, thereby robbing him of his powers. Falling to the ground, Mister Twister was taken into custody. Soon after, Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin decided to form the Teen Titans.
Witness to this spectacle was an other-worldly entity known as the Antithesis. A creature that thrives on chaos, the Antithesis sought to use Mister Twister as an instrument of revenge and transformed him into the Gargoyle. As the Gargoyle, Brom Stikk has fought up against the Teen Titans on several occasions, and even fought them as adults when they reformed their group under the simplified name – the Titans.
Though he had gone unnoticed for many years, Mister Twister resurfaced in recent years and was one of dozens of mystically endowed people present at Stonehenge during the "Infinite Crisis". Though his participation was minimal, Stikk assisted in a large-scale ritual that summoned the spirit of vengeance Aztar and bound him to the soul of the late Gotham City police detective Crispus Allen.
A year later, Bromwell Stikk found himself alone and homeless living out of a soup kitchen. He encountered Roy Harper, one of his old adversaries from the original Teen Titans, now the Justice Leaguer known as Red Arrow. Though bitter at first, the two made peace with one another and Stikk was grateful that somebody even remembered who he was.
- Unique Physiology: Brom Stikk originally did not have any superhuman capabilities, but was eventually transformed into the Gargoyle by Antithesis, which gave him powers
- Staff: Mister Twister uses a magic staff that he found in a Native American medicine cave on Goat Island. The staff grants Mister Twister the following abilities:
- Elemental Control: Mister Twister can control the elements to varying effects. As his name implies, he can create massive twisters so strong that merely being caught in its path can render a victim unconscious. Twister himself usually rides atop the crown of the storm so he can oversee the carnage he spreads. He can summon fire that rains down from the sky and fire blasts of lightning from his staff. The staff can also generate an invisible force field that protects Mister Twister from physical harm. The power of the staff eventually depletes itself unless Mister Twister bathes in a hot potion inside the medicine cave.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 15 Appearances of Bromwell Stikk (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Bromwell Stikk (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Bromwell Stikk (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Bromwell Stikk (New Earth)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Teen Titans, the Titans, or any of the other various Titans incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Titans Villains" category.