Bruce Wayne is the billionaire CEO of Wayne Enterprises and the aggressive veteran vigilante known as the Batman. A man fighting crime with no powers, he was naturally distrustful of superpowers after the Battle of Metropolis. After Superman's death, he changed his mind, and with the help of Wonder Woman he founded the Justice League to fend off a coming alien invasion, and prevent a dark future he saw in a vision from coming to be.
Bruce Wayne was born to the wealthy Thomas and Martha Wayne on February 19, 1972 in Gotham City, New Jersey. When he was eight, he witnessed his parents get murdered by a mugger in an alleyway on their walk home from a movie. His family's butler, Alfred Pennyworth, became his legal guardian. On the day of his parents' funeral, Bruce ran away into the woods in fear and fell into a hole in the ground filled with bats. A dream he had while delirious in the hole inspired him to take the bat as a symbol, and years later, he took that inspiration by dedicating his life to warring on criminals as the vigilante known as the Batman. As a vigilante, Bruce assisted the Gotham City Police Department in his war on crime, making several powerful enemies such as Killer Croc, the Penguin, Deathstroke, and his arch-nemesis, the Joker. He still ran his father's company, Wayne Enterprises, in the background, even becoming friends with Jack O'Dwyer, the head of Wayne's division in Metropolis, Delaware.
At some point, Bruce took in a ward in Dick Grayson, a circus performer whose parents and partners in his act were killed before the crowd. Bruce trained Dick to fight as he did, and he took up the mantle of Robin. The two fought side-by-side for a time, until the Joker killed Robin, devastating Bruce. In reverence, he placed Dick's graffitied armor on display in his base of operations, the Batcave. After this, Bruce became more hardened and cruel as a crime-fighter, killing some and using guns, two things he had long forsworn against.
The Battle of Metropolis
In 2013, eighteen years after Bruce first put on the cowl, the Kryptonian being known as General Zod arrived on Earth, revealing that one of his kind, Superman, was hiding among humankind. After a few days of tense buildup and a battle in a small Kansas town, a massive battle between the pair erupted in Metropolis. In an attempt to make sure those in the Metropolis division of his company got out safely, Bruce traveled there quickly, witnessing first-hand all the collateral damage the fight caused. He arrived too late, for while most of his building was evacuated, O'Dwyer was stuck on the top floor, and was decimated by Zod's heat vision. A furious and scared Bruce tried helping many people that were injured, and was one of the few who survived the attack, for while Superman saved Earth from Zod, Metropolis was decimated, and thousands were dead.
Over the course of the two years that followed, the Batman became even more hardened and violent than before, now not just killing his enemies, but branding criminals with the Bat symbol and escaping from the police, whom he formerly had a close relationship with. He encountered more foes like Firefly, and captured Harley Quinn, the Joker's girlfriend, as well as the lethal hitman Deadshot.
The White Portuguese Conspiracy
In 2015, Bruce and Alfred began an investigation into someone known as the "White Portuguese", who they suspected was bringing some kind of powerful bomb to Gotham. After discovering that Russian hitman Anatoli Knyazev worked for eccentric billionaire scientist Lex Luthor, he attended Luthor's party, to which he had been invited, in an attempt to gauge information on the White Portuguese. While there, he met Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent, who debated with him the morality of the Batman for a time. Soon after, Bruce went downstairs to put a hacking device in the LexCorp mainframe. However, it was stolen by the mysterious Diana Prince. Soon after, he tracked her down at a Museum, where she informed him that she was just "borrowing" his device, and had left it for him in his car.
Later that night, while waiting for the information to upload to his computer, Bruce fell asleep in the Batcave where he had a nightmare of Superman leading an army in a post-apocalyptic future. He led a resistance against Superman, but was captured and killed by him. Bruce woke up to the Flash appearing, travelling from the future he had witnessed in his dream, telling him that "Lois Lane is the key". Upon realizing Bruce had no idea what he was talking about, the Flash began to tell Bruce that he must unite the Justice League. Bruce then awoke a second time from his dream-within-a-dream, now more convinced that ever that Superman was the enemy.
Batman later chased some criminals in the Batmobile until he ran into Superman. Superman told him not to go to the Bat Signal. "The Bat is dead." Batman asked if he bleeds. Superman flew off and Batman threatened that he will.
After Bruce saw the Congress building explode on the news, he exercised to prepare to fight Superman. He made a suit of armor and turned on the Bat Signal to summon Superman. Superman came under blackmail from Lex Luthor. They fought. Batman shot Kryptonite gas to weaken Superman. The gas eventually wore off but Batman had another Kryptonite gas pallet. He then prepared to kill Superman with a Kryptonite spear until Superman plead that they are going to kill Martha. Batman demanded to know why he was using that name. Lois Lane arrived and begged Batman to stop, telling him that Martha is Superman's mother. Realizing that the alien he sought to kill was just as "human" as himself, and that he almost became the very thing that drove him to protect Gotham in the first place, Batman tossed the spear aside and agreed to help Superman's mother. Batman came to a warehouse and beat up some goons. He then rescued Martha.
After a nuclear missile failed to kill the Doomsday, created from combinatiom of Luthor's blood with Zod's DNA, Batman tried to take him out with the Batwing. But Doomsday took down the Batwing and shot heat vision at him. Luckily, Wonder Woman had blocked the blast with her indestructible bracelets. Superman recovered from the missile's hit and joined the fight. The three heroes battled Doomsday until Superman stabbed him with the Kryptonite spear, getting impaled by Doomsday's spikes in the process.
Bruce attended a funeral for Superman and spoke to Diana about forming a team of Metahumans.
- Peak Human Condition: Bruce has trained his body to the maximum limits of human conditioning, as shown through his highly strenuous training routine.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Intimidation: Batman has the ability to instill great fear in others. His appearance caused a group of victims to believe him to be some sort of devil.
- Stealth: Bruce is a master of stealth, capable of staying out of sight of enemies, and breaching high security facilities without being detected.
- Weaponry: Bruce is adept in the use of various weapons, such as his batarangs and multiple gadgets. He has used his grapple gun as an improvised melee weapon, and was also able to quickly pick up and use a knife as a weapon in mid-combat.
- Firearms: Bruce has displayed great marksmanship with the special guns he has constructed, such as his grapple gun, gas gun, and sniper. Bruce has also shown great skill with pistols and rifles, although this was only displayed in a nightmare of his.
- Throwing: Bruce is highly skilled in throwing his batarangs with great accuracy.
- Genius Level Intellect: Batman is a brilliant detective, strategist, and tactician. Given his lack of superpowers, he often uses cunning and planning to outwit his foes, rather than simply "out-fighting" them.
- Tactical Analysis: Bruce is a master at formulating and executing plans.
- Investigation: Batman is a highly skilled detective, and is capable of observation and inductive and deductive reasoning.
- Interrogation: Batman is adept in interrogation techniques, which is accompanied by his frightening appearance.
- Deception: According to Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce is quite adept at lying.
- Thievery: Bruce is capable of breaking into high security facilities, and retrieving objects, without being detected.
- Mechanical Aptitude: Bruce is proficient at combat driving, and is likely trained and proficient in basic vehicles operations. 
- Gadgetry: Bruce is highly skilled in constructing and utilizing various gadgets.
- Computer Hacking: Bruce is a skilled hacker, as he was able to crack the firewall on Lex Luthor's database after accessing encrypted files on his servers.
- Business Management: As the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, Bruce Wayne has extensive skill and experience in business management.
- Leadership: Bruce was capable of acting as the leader of the Justice League.
- Aviation: Bruce is highly skilled in flying aircraft, such as the Batplane.
- Driving: Bruce is highly proficient at driving cars, such as the Batmobile.
- Multilingualism: Bruce is capable of speaking multiple languages.
- Indomitable Will: Although he has no superhuman powers, Batman's unstoppable determination and strength of will make him an extremely formidable opponent.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Extended Universe and is an adaptation of Batman. The original character was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane and first appeared in Detective Comics #27.
- Bruce Wayne is portrayed by Ben Affleck.
- Batman made a couple appearances prior to his official first on-screen appearance in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. His first appearance in DC canon in any capacity was as a hallucination among other Batmen of the multiverse in Batman: Arkham Knight Annual #1, a tie-in comic for the Batman: Arkham Knight video game. The tie-in comic was released after the public's first look at the character through promotional material for the movie.
However, again prior to the release of Batman v Superman, his first appearance within DCEU canon was in a Dr Pepper-sponsored Batman v Superman prequel comic titled Warner Bros. Pictures Presents Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice #1, which we have acknowledged as his first appearance on the DC Database.
- 13 Appearances of Bruce Wayne (DC Extended Universe)
- 37 Images featuring Bruce Wayne (DC Extended Universe)
- 3 Quotations by or about Bruce Wayne (DC Extended Universe)
- Character Gallery: Bruce Wayne (DC Extended Universe)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."