In the 1940s, young Buddy Smith was the non-costumed sidekick of Uncle Sam.
Some time during the "dust bowl" migrations of the mid-1930s, at the Arizona/California border, Ezra Smith and his young grandson Buddy were among an encampment of economic refugees, "Oakies," when Andel Cobra, an ambitious American gangster, tried to rabble-rouse the disaffected and desperate among them, in order to recruit an antidemocracy army of "Purple Shirts" from among the former farmers. Ezra Smith spoke out against these traitors, for which he was shot in the back and killed by one of Cobra's henchmen. Shortly later, the legendary Uncle Sam showed up at the migrant camp, and hired on the newly orphaned Buddy Smith as his assistant, and the lad quickly proved his worth by tackling a fleeing murderer. Later in the same adventure, Buddy ran a long distance, from the hidden Purple Shirt base to a U.S. Army base, to fetch reinforcements for Uncle Sam.
- This version of Buddy Smith, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 25 Appearances of Buddy Smith (Quality Universe)
- 2 Images featuring Buddy Smith (Quality Universe)
- 4 Quotations by or about Buddy Smith (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Buddy Smith (Quality Universe)