"Checking Out": Several years ago, Air Force jets are flying. Captain Nathaniel "Lockjaw" Adam breaks formation, and refuses to answer repeated radio calls from his friend Pierce. He is grounded as punishment, and seeks out [[Heinrich Megala (Prime Earth)
- I am not a man of faith. I am a man of science, Nathaniel.
Appearing in "Checking Out"
- Captain Atom (Nathaniel "Nate" Adam) (Flashback only)
- Doctor Megala (Flashback only)
- Pierce (Flashback only)
- Continuum (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Checking Out"
Several years ago, Air Force jets are flying. Captain Nathaniel "Lockjaw" Adam breaks formation, and refuses to answer repeated radio calls from his friend Pierce. He is grounded as punishment, and seeks out Doctor Megala at the Continuum. He volunteers to pilot the dimension ship that crosses the membrane between universes.
As Nathaniel tests the ship, something goes awry and he is seemingly killed - nothing physical remains of him or the test ship.
Dr Megala sits and contemplates the failure until, more than a month later, Nathaniel Adam is reborn as Captain Atom. Atom flees the Continuum and finds his former Air Force squadron engaged in combat. Using his quantum powers, he disables the enemy craft. His former compatriots - including Pierce - do not recognise him and fire missiles at Atom, and in this moment he realizes that he is no longer human.
- This book was first published on September 19, 2012.
- This is the final issue of Captain Atom (Volume 2).
- Air Force pilot Pierce was previously seen in a flashback in Captain Atom Vol 3 4 at time 122:11:29:96 Year 6570 (May 2, 2007).
- One panel mistakingly gives Nathaniel the name tag "Adams".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Captain Atom Vol 3 0 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Captain Atom series
- Images from Captain Atom Vol 3 0
- Captain Atom Recommended Reading