Carlton Cerebrus was a career military man serving in the U.S. Navy, eventually rising to the rank of Admiral. He was assigned to oversee a government-sponsored project in which mind control techniques were being developed for military purposes. Ultimately, the Pentagon abandoned the project, finding it to be too costly and too damaging to the minds of the control subjects, but Cerebrus used his own funds to continue the experiments.
After determining that psychic powers allowed their possessors to be more easily controlled by the cybernetic implants the experiments were using, and that children had more of such power than did adults, Cerebrus concocted a scheme in which video games were used to seek out promising subjects. A series of arcade games were created and marketed, with teleportation technology included, so that whenever a child playing the game achieved a particularly high score, that child would be teleported to the Admiral's headquarters and then connected to a machine that would drain their psychic energy. Cerebrus planned to use this energy to enhance his own psychic abilities. By funneling the stolen psychic energy into his own mind, Cerebrus was able to fire psychic blasts of strong magnitude at his opponents, powerful enough to even stagger Superman.
In the end, the plot was foiled when Superman and the Vixen intervened and disconnected the equipment with which Cerebrus absorbed and stored the psychic energies of the kidnapped children. In a case of extremely poetic justice, the destruction of the machines also resulted in a powerful psychic feedback enveloping Cerebrus' mind, leaving him essentially a vegetable.
As of this writing, Cerebrus continues to occupy a private room in a military hospital, hooked up to life support. Although it is possible that he may one day recover from his condition, currently the prognosis is not favorable.
- Cybernetic Enhancement: cybernetically enhanced psychic abilities; fires powerful brain blasts
- This version of Admiral Cerebrus, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Carlton Cerebrus (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Carlton Cerebrus (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Carlton Cerebrus (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Carlton Cerebrus (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."